dumb question

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

dumb question

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

have 512 ram now ---refurb laptop. a little slow at times and processor running or spikes at 100% . 1.5 Ghz Petium M thinkpad.

if I take out one of the 256 and add a 512 will that still be a bit better than jsut leaving it. can't afford the dual 512 or dual GB at the moment. This tapped me out as it is.

I had to buy a new macbook for my daughter for school.

I could squeek the 1 - 512 ram.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

wether you have one or 2 it won't really make a difference. Its nice th have dual channel working, but you won't feel it.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You wonder if 256 +512 is better than 256+256?
Of course - provided you can use memory sticks of different size. This is not always (but mostly) the case
and provided the laptop supports more than 512 - there's quite a risk it does not :(
And I agree with Carlos - dual channel is good but...
And i'm not sure if there even is dual channel
Check the manual for the laptop
1.5 ghz is ok but not much more
I have removed the double post - that happens by accident occasionally and you can remove your own posts
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

thanks - sorry the double posts may have been from a frozen server - I cancelled out /refreshed and submitted again. there has been a few issues with slow site today.
Husse

Post by Husse »

At times the forum gets a bit sluggish - and I am one of the culprits :)
Search and in particular Search your own posts slows the forum down - and when i search my posts it returns about 30 pages - takes a while
I have to do that to keep track of earlier answers...

Return to “Hardware Support”