Linux Mint Debian Edition -no glx

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint Debian Edition -no glx

Post by ajgreeny »

Sempron 2400+
ATI 9200SE graphics card, AGP x8, ati open source driver.
2GB ram

I have just installed LMDE on a test partition on my machine to see what I think of it in comparison with Ubuntu 10.04/Mint 9. So far almost everything is great, and works as I believe it should be, though I have a way to go yet in trying everything out.

The one thing that will not work in any way is compiz, glxinfo or glxgears, all no doubt as a result of not having the correct setup. Ubuntu 10.04 will run all of those utilities on the same machine with the same driver etc etc.

Is this a problem of the version of xorg, a lack of some package or other needed for glx to work, or am I missing something very simple that has just not occurred to me. I am not even sure if I have dri as without glxinfo running, I don't know how to find out that information.

Any help welcome, or is this just that LMDE is too new to get all these things working yet?

It is not a major problem as everything seems to be working except those three things and it does not stop the system. It is just a little annoying when it all works so well on Ubuntu 10.04.

PS. I never did get Mint 9 to run even after trying the many and varied modeset boot options available. Ubuntu 10.04 did and does run, as my main OS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OldManHook

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition -no glx

Post by OldManHook »

You are comparing a 4x4 to Bigfoot :D
LMDE to Ubuntu,Mint 9 is based on buntu LMDE is not if you want to try real Linux then you want to try LMDE All your questions has been posted (check out the LMDE sub forum) But if you think LMDE is Ubuntu you might want to use Mint 9 Main :shock:
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition -no glx

Post by ajgreeny »

OldManHook wrote:You are comparing a 4x4 to Bigfoot :D
LMDE to Ubuntu,Mint 9 is based on buntu LMDE is not if you want to try real Linux then you want to try LMDE All your questions has been posted (check out the LMDE sub forum) But if you think LMDE is Ubuntu you might want to use Mint 9 Main :shock:
Thanks OMH, I didn't notice the LMDE subforum when I posted, but now you have mentioned it I will go and look.

I have already installed LMDE and it seems great, as I said in my post above, but I just can't get compiz or any glx utilities to run, hence my question.

I am aware that LMDE is not based on ubuntu, and that Mint9 is based on ubuntu 10.04. However, I can not get Mint9 to even boot into a GUI, even with all the various boot options tried. I can just about get the live CD to boot after a long time trying various things but it runs at the wrong resolution and with no network if I use nomodeset kernel option, so is utterly useless to me. Ubuntu 10.04 does work well, as I said, so why the difference is anyones guess!

I'm now off to the LMDE section to do some searching.

Return to “Hardware Support”