Processor Temperature Problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hagrid_aragog

Processor Temperature Problem

Post by hagrid_aragog »

I have a Intel Celeron D 2.53 Ghz, 1024+128 MB RAM, a 80 GB SATA+40 GB IDE+40 GB IDE

I am using mint xfce 9, and through the temperature sensors, i came to know that my processor reaches very high valus when the CPU usage is full.

My temperature observations have been as follows:(in degree celsius)
Idle: 56-57
Temperature as i am typing(with only google chrome and transmission on): 60
Light Process(Only songs):63-65
When medium Process is on( Eg: Movie on VLC): 69-70
When high Process: 78-80
The temperature has sometimes even reached the temperature of 82, and btw google chrome and transmission were on during the entire test.

Is this normal?????...The moment i close the process, the temperature immediately come down, hence i don't think this is a problem of heatsink cooling or thermal paste...Please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwevej

Re: Processor Temperature Problem

Post by kwevej »

i wouldn't be worried if the temp sensor is inside the cpu package
i would, if outside

where it lays, dunno ;)
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

The idle temperature seems very high, but your highest temp. is only about 20 above that, which would seem OK.

Is there good air circulation in and around the case? What's the approximate room temperature?

If you can get to the computer's BIOS, there is often a 'Health' page which may show the real idle temperatures. If they are a lot lower, it's probably just that the OS' calibration of the sensors is wrong.
hagrid_aragog

Post by hagrid_aragog »

checked it in the bios:
System temperature: 30 degree celsius
CPU Temeperature: 70-73 degree celsius

My room temperature is about 30.....
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi, I think it is still 20 degrees too high or so, I would like to suggest that you look inside, and make sure there is no dust buildup in the cpu heatsink/fan assembly, and if so, make sure to unplug the power supply, and use compressed air to gently blow it clean. If you do clean it, may as well air clean the power supply / fan too.
I do this at least once a year to all my desktops and notebooks, and I believe my equipment is less prone to hardware breakdown, and runs better and more efficient because of it. :)
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

richyrich wrote:and more efficient because of it. :)
I don't think so. It still "eats" the same power ;)
----------------------------
According to the CPU datasheet, page 64 (http://download.intel.com/design/celero ... 235305.pdf)
The maximum CPU casing temperature is 67 Cels. (That value is chosen, to make Intel "safe". The real limit is far above that)

The processor incorporates an on-die thermal diode; specification doesn't talk about temp. range.
But: "Regardless of whether or not the Thermal Monitor feature is enabled, in the event of a catastrophic
cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon has reached an
elevated temperature"

Conclusion:
You are shortening the lifetime of your CPU, but you will probably buy a newer PC before the failure occurs (if that ever happens).
In the meantime, you can make yourself a breakfast at the heat-sink ;p
hagrid_aragog

Post by hagrid_aragog »

:D...........btw my PC shutdown temperature is 85 degree celsius....my worry is about using it at its edge.......
hagrid_aragog

Post by hagrid_aragog »

I menat that my PC shutdown tepmperature is 85 and many times i have seen upto 80-82.....that is what is worrying me.....
alex30

Post by alex30 »

try to close some process
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

alex30 wrote:try to close some process
that's not a solution.
What I'd advice if u wanna solve that:
increase CPU fan RPM / a larger heat-sink / a larger fan / install another case fan, which will suck out the hot air from the area around CPU heat-sink from the case
Whatever you choose, check your thermal paste (they recommend "silver" shits, but they are usually worse, that an ordinary silicon paste). Remember: The thinner the paste layer is, the better it transfers the heat.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

I think what richyrich wrote is the first thing to do:
richyrich wrote:I would like to suggest that you look inside, and make sure there is no dust buildup in the cpu heatsink/fan assembly, and if so, make sure to unplug the power supply, and use compressed air to gently blow it clean. If you do clean it, may as well air clean the power supply / fan too.
Your machine seems to be an older one and some dust buildup within the cpu heatsink is quite normal over time. A regular hardware maintainance in the above manner is usual to achive longtime reliability.
btw: I would have a running vacuum cleaner at hand to tame the dust storm ... :wink:

Checking the thermal paste would be one of the last things to do if nothing else works. When reassembling a lot may go wrong. Clean first and check the proper operation of the fan.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Another thing I have found helpful to reduce temperatures is to bundle and tie all wires and cords out of the way of air flow.
hagrid_aragog

Post by hagrid_aragog »

Phew!!!!....Problem solved.........mow my idle temperature is around 48-50 and maximum temperature around 60-62.....What i did is........I removed and reapplied an unsettlingly low amount of thermal paste........and that seems to have done the magic......:)

Thank you all....thank you for your helpful inputs......

Return to “Hardware Support”