[Solved] Compaq Presario CQ 62 internal speakers not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ehex

[Solved] Compaq Presario CQ 62 internal speakers not working

Post by ehex »

Hello everyone! I've just installed a Mint on my HP compaq presario CQ 62 laptop, but internal speakers and microphone are not working. In sound preferences I can see "Internal audio" and "RS880 Audio device (Radeon HD 4200)" under hardware and "Internal audio analog stereo" under input, but none of these are working. And btw, headphones are working when I plug them in, so this problem is only on for internal speakers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: HP compaq Presario CQ 61 internal speakers not working

Post by tdockery97 »

I had the same problem with my HP laptop (along with many other HP owners). This worked for me and some others, but not for everyone. It doesn't cost you anything or hurt your system to try it. Open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (then enter password when it asks).

That will open a window with the alsa-base configuration file. Go down to the end and under the last line type:

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5

Then go up and click "save". When it is done saving close the window and exit the terminal. Go to sound preferences and make sure under hardware that analog stereo is selected. Then open the output tab and set it for analog stereo speakers.
Also you may want to go into terminal and type "alsamixer" (without quotes) and make sure nothing is muted.

If sound doesn't activate right away you might want to try rebooting.

As I said, it may or may not work for you, but at least it is something to try that has worked for others.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ehex

Re: HP compaq Presario CQ 62 internal speakers not working

Post by ehex »

Thanks for help, I did exactly how you said, but no - it doesn't work. :(
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

You might try this thread at the Ubuntu forum and maybe it will at least get the speakers working:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1419160
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ehex

Post by ehex »

I solved the problem with this tutorial - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Installin ... verModules
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Good, glad you got it solved. You may want to add "(Solved)" to the subject line of your post. :)
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Hardware Support”