is Compaq Presario F572 good for linux?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

is Compaq Presario F572 good for linux?

Postby mrg2007 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:11 pm

hi
i want buy a notebook for work with linux.. and i search site and forums for find best notebook that i need.. i find Compaq Presario F572 (because i like amd cpu-nvidia gheraphic and etc) .. all of properties is suitable for me...

and properties is

but i find some topic that user's have trouble with this notebook such as hang in ubuntu logo (ubuntu 7.04) and couldn't boot and ... i crate topic to find out this notebook is good for linux or not.. i have too use dial up internet so i would like find out is insatll modem (internal winmodem) in linux easily ?and usable..or this modem have linux driver??

i find dell inspiron 1501 but speed is low cpu adm 1.7 sempron, ram 512,vga ATI
this vga (ATI) not suitable for linux.. because i most like use beryl .. and when i had this vga on my pc.. i cant use corectly.. and every some minute my pc hang it.. and i had to resatrt my system...

please every one has this notebook guide me. and say is he/she glad to use this notebook (and can he/she use beryl good and connect to internet with internal winmodem)??

excuse me for bad english
mrg2007
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:36 pm

What's the WiFi chip in that Presario??

I personally would recommend to go for a Intel CPU-based HP Pavilion dv-xxxx Laptop which has Intel GMA-950 (or better) graphics and Intel-based WiFi chipset. Those machines pretty much work 'out of the box'. Also very nice: HP's business laptops NX-xxxx or NC-xxxx with the same specs as above (Intel CPU + Intel Graphics + Intel WiFi).

Laptops with Nvidia chipsets are not worth the trouble unless you go for the really expensive ones which you could use for gaming (e.g. with Nvidia 8600 GT chips ... but such laptops are very expensive) ... Anything below a Nvidia 7600 (the absolute minimum you should have for 'gaming') is just not worth the trouble as they offer hardly any speed advantage over Intel's latest chipsets.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mrg2007 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 pm

what is your suggest? my money is less than 850$.i can buy between 700 & 850$

in my pc im very glad
my pc: main asus M2ne /amd athlon 64 3500+ (2.2ghz)/ram 2gig/vga nvidia 6800 256mb dedicate ..and is very good so i said i want nvidia gheraphic..
and other case im not gaming with my notebook.just internet and programing

in this vga.. can i work with beryl fluid?
mrg2007
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:34 pm

mrg2007 wrote: in this vga.. can i work with beryl fluid?
I had Beryl work very fluid on my super old Nvidia 5600 FX graphics card. Just some effects (e.g. transparent cube) tend to slow it down very much.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Hardware Support