Samsung Intercept Phone with Android 2.1

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sandman6471

Samsung Intercept Phone with Android 2.1

Post by sandman6471 »

Hi, I recently purchased a Samsung Intercept Phone. When I go to connect it to my PC(Mint 9) using the "USB" cable, the PC doesn't recognize the phone. When it does and that's only been twice once you click on the phone icon it disappears. I've also tried connecting thru "Bluetooth", it shows in devices and the phone says it's paired with my PC but it's not connected and there is no where that I see to tell it to connect. If you click on search files on this device from the PC it does not show up in the device box. I'm still working on a solution and searching Google, just hoping someone here has some idea's what the problem could be and a fix. I don't think it's PC hardware related, my previous phone a "Samsung Impression" connected fine "USB" and "Bluetooth". It's possible the phone is at fault or could it be Android causing the problems?

ECS Mother Board, AMD Athlon64 LE-1600, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 160GB Seagate Sata Hard Drive, Nvidia 8400GS Graphics Card, Realtek On Board Audio.

Thanks for all the help in advance. I hope this was the right place to post(probably not, never is on a forum site). LOL

Thanks Again;
sandman6471@gmail.com
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobpaul

Re: Samsung Intercept Phone with Android 2.1

Post by bobpaul »

I had/am having the same trouble. I e-mailed VirginMobile and they first said "none of our phones work on USB" and I was quite upset. They then wrote back and said "Oops, sorry, that phone does. Take it to a sprint store or call samsung for support."

So I e-mailed Samsung about 12 hrs ago. I since found there are drivers on the samsung website for Windows. (I had to choose "Sprint" as the provider since the phone doesn't show up in their downloads page for Virgin Mobile). Installing these, I was able to get my phone to work on USB in Windows. I even ran android debugger (adb) from and was able to root my phone, which involved replacing the kernel image. I haven't gotten back home yet to see if a side effect of the new kernel was that it enumerates on linux.

If you look at your dmesg logs, though, you should see that the computer tries to connect it about 4 times before giving up, each time providing the phone a new address for the USB bus. I don't have high hopes this will work. The guys who root phones and build custom roms hang out on XDA forums, so that's a good place for more info.

Android isn't the problem, but Samsung's (or maybe your cellular provider's) custumizations are causing the problem. This is the first of 3 Android models I've encountered that doesn't work with USB on linux. Complain to Samsung and your provider, so they both know you're unhappy.

Return to “Hardware Support”