Running 4GB memory but Mint only sees ~2.9GB ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cressida

Running 4GB memory but Mint only sees ~2.9GB ?

Post by Cressida »

I'm running Mint 9 as my OS and I just added 4 matching 1 GB DDR400 memory sticks to my system. This maxes out the memory on the MB at 4 GB. The bios recognizes all 4 GB of memory however Mint/Linux only shows me as having about 2.9GB. I know I probably don't need any more than that but is there something I should do to get Mint to recognize all 4GB of the memory ?

I am running a AMD Athlon 4000+ CPU. There is no integrated graphics card on the MB.

I believe I read from searching something about I may have to use a different kernel. However this was an older post and it may not be applicable anymore. Here is what my computer shows RE the current memory. (I don't think I will need a swap anymore but the swap as show is left over from when I only had less than 1 GB prior to this upgrade)

free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2881 664 2217 0 56 307
-/+ buffers/cache: 299 2582
Swap: 1251 0 1251

Update:

Here is what I was reading about the memory. Should I do the following steps to install PAE kernel ?

Install PAE enabled kernel

Open terminal and type the following command:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server
Once kernel images installed, just reboot your workstation, type:
$ sudo reboot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Running 4GB memory but Mint only sees ~2.9GB ?

Post by dawgdoc »

Based on the links fromTHIS page all of the AMD Athlon 4000+ processors are capable of a 64 bit operating mode.

If you installed a 32 bit edition of LM9 and you do not want to reinstall with a 64 bit version you could change kernels to the PAE kernel. But do not use the commands you copied. I am on LMDE at the moment so I am not able to check the packages in LM9. You can check in Synaptic for the correct package names by typing PAE into the Quick Search entry box. Once you know the names you can use THIS thread as a guide to updating the kernel.

Also see THIS thread, it is specifically about installing the PAE kernel in LM9.

Of course, if you do have a 64bit processor, as I think you do, you could just install a 64 bit version of Mint 9.
zerofire

Post by zerofire »

If I remember correctly all Athlon's and Athlon X2's were 32bit. The requirement would be to have an Athlon 64 or an Athlon 64 X2 for 64bit support.
Cressida

Post by Cressida »

I do have the Athlon 4000 64 CPU so it does have the 64bit support. I am sorry I did not say that before.

Like I said I just upgraded (was running an old 750 mhz CPU and it really didn't run Mint very well - too slow) so this is new turf.

I didn't even know there was a 64 bit version available. I'm not a gamer so should I even consider using the 64 bit Linux?

I'm sure the 2.9GB of memory will more than meet my needs for another year or two.

Also my video card is an older GeForce4 MX 420. I think I would have to find a 64 bit driver for it but maybe the 64 bit Linux will have this already?

It looks like now I have something else to study / read about today to see what advantage there is going with the 64 bit vs. 32 bit. That's the problem with upgrades - you have to learn all this new stuff :?
olivermarriott

Post by olivermarriott »

Do you have onboard graphics as this will eat away at your ram...
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Don't be put off of updating your kernel, it's just that the one you listed in your initial thread looked to be for the server edition of Ubuntu. In the post I linked to above
dawgdoc wrote:Also see THIS thread, it is specifically about installing the PAE kernel in LM9.
you should be able to use Hinto's guidance. The uname -a command will tell you what kernel series you are presently you using so that you download the correct PAE kernel. Which for him was the 2.6.32-22-generic series.

Updating this kernel should be less work and trouble than reinstalling to a 64bit version of LM9. If you decide to install the 64 bit version instead of updating kernels, I have seen references to nvidia's 96.xx series drivers in 64 bit, so it should be available in the Administration > Hardware Drivers tool. This is the driver I have seen listed as supporting the MX420.

Whichever route you choose, I suggest backing up beforehand anything you can not afford to loose.

Return to “Hardware Support”