Installing NVIDIA drivers 256.53 in Mint9 gnome

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wjni

Installing NVIDIA drivers 256.53 in Mint9 gnome

Post by wjni »

Gooday All

While the installed Nvidia drivers work, they are not the correct ones for my video cards 210/240. I would like to install 256.53 drivers. Could someone please direct me to where I can find the correct procedure for the process. Have looked at a lot of data on the net but it does not solve the problem. Virtually none of it that I have found does not cover the procedure in Mint9 Gnome. - Thanks wjni
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wjni

Re: Installing NVIDIA drivers 256.53 in Mint9 gnome

Post by wjni »

Gooday All

richyrich Thanks but it does not work. I looked at that file before. It is for Geeks and Gurus not for humans that want to enjoy Linux Mint9. It does not have all the details that are necessary. Further scouring of Google/Linux reveals additional help which is necessary. That said I think the problem is with Mint9 itself. On installing the drivers, the first thing the programs tells you is that the script (Linux Mint) is not available and asks you do you want to continue. OK let us continue. It installs and when you 'startx' it is there, the Nvidia icons tells you all about your driver and screen - the X11/config is there with all the Nvidia details but when you close down and reboot the video reverts to VESA. OK you can go into X11 and regenerate Nvidia config but it is time consuming and a nuisance.

Looking through past issues of LXF 2008 I see a reference to Mint Tools where it says that all sorts of goodies can be installed including Nvidia drivers. What has happened to this tool as I am unable to see it in the repository or anywhere else. Many thanks if anyone has an answer as the current drivers are not the answer. - cheers - wjni

PS Any chance that these drivers can be placed in the repository?
jimmy10111

Post by jimmy10111 »

To install those.. Install at least what the Hardware applet recommends. Then restart.

Reason being is the nouveau will be active and it will fail on the nvidia driver install..

Once you get a recommended driver installed and working. Go to the nvidia website and get the driver by looking in the beta and archive section.

Then save the driver to desktop. This step is important. Rename the file to ndriver.run . This makes it easier to remember what it is instead of that long file name.

Now heres what you do and its all Case sensitive from here.

Press and Hold ALT CTRL and Press F1. This will take you to a login prompt with a black screen.. Type in your user name. Note if you have numbers in your user name use the number row below the F keys and not the number keypad on the right of keyboard they do not work..

Then enter your password. Again with the number row if your password has numbers..

Then type in this command.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop This will kill the GUI that is running. You may have to put in your password to continue here.

Then type in cd Desktop or cd Downloads Then type in dir to see if it lists ndriver.run If so your in the right directory.

Then type in sudo sh ndriver.run and it will start the driver install program.. You get a script error for the distro this is benign. Continue and install to everything including the OpenGL Libs. Tell it to configure X server for you. Then it will take you back to the prompt when its done.

Then type in sudo reboot. The pc will restart and the new driver will take effect. Now I had a problem with the 260.19.21. It will not start the GUI for some reason on a 8800GTX on my system..

I recommend you print this guide. So far it works for me.
chachi

Post by chachi »

Hey wjni,

I just installed the 195.36.24 driver from synaptic Mint repos this week for my GT240 card and it works a charm.

chachi

Return to “Hardware Support”