Re: High CPU Usage.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
s.linuxusers

Post by s.linuxusers »

When i see my CPU usage in System Monitor it show around high 60 % & my machine is idle, but when i command 'top' in terminal window it shows CPU usage as 2-3%. I am confused which i is true. I have attached the screenshot of both the windows (top & system monitor).

I am afraid if my idle m/c is using 60% of my CPU then my machine will die young.

Pl let me know which is true picture & if my CPU usage is really & then what steps needed to be taken so it comes around 2-3%.

I am using Linux Mint 9 Isadora

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

My guess is the system monitor is wrong. But we can check by adding the CPU monitor to your panel (right click and add). you can also find many CPU meters in synaptic. Also have you checked the processes in your system monitor to see who is eating up all of the resource?
s.linuxusers

Post by s.linuxusers »

I have checked the processes & all the processes shows zero %, but when i pressed to Resources to still show 50-60%.

Can you suggest some other good s/w which can show the right usage of CPU.

Thanks..
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

htop is top with a different look
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/u ... -on-linux/

Or you could use a gui like Conky to get a small system monitor..
http://conky.sourceforge.net/

Code: Select all

apt search conky
p   conky                           - highly configurable system monitor (transi
p   conky-std                       - highly configurable system monitor (defaul 
--your choice basic or all features

In my case, unless the system is slowing down, I don't even worry about resource utilization
--of course I have removed applications and services I don't need, such as samba and bluetooth and compiz. When I feel the urge to check I use htop

Return to “Hardware Support”