Did I compile a good Linux capable desktop pc ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
.William.

Did I compile a good Linux capable desktop pc ?

Post by .William. »

Hi there,

This is my first time not buying a retail name, so I'm quite exited about it.
My decision to have my own choice built is based on the fact that I didn't want to buy a retail pc which will allways have some weak link in it.
Cheap chips with no good drivers for Linux.
Now that I am about to buy my new desktop pc, I have compiled one together with the pc store.
Before I make the buy final I would like to ask your opinion and if you think this pc will work well with Linux (Mint).
One of my concerns are that there have to be good drivers for Linux, and it's very hard to discover on the websites of the manufacturers wheater they have them. Yes, compatibility with Linux is a main requirement for me, although there will still be a dual-boot with 'that other OS', although this time my Mint will be the default OS.
Where better to ask then the place that gets visited by Mints' own MVG's (Most Valued Guru's) ? :mrgreen:
Housing - MS-Tech CA 0300 - 750W

Processor - AMD(R) PhenomII X6 1090T - 3.2 GHz

Motherboard - MSI AM3 890GXM-G65

Videocard - COLORFUL NVIDIA GTS450 OC 2XDVI/MHDMI/GDDR5 1024MB

Harddisk - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 r/pm

Memory - Kingston 8GB (4x2) DDR3 1333 MHz

Blu Ray player - LG BH10LS30 BLURAY BURNER

LAN - Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111DL

Audio - Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC889
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Did I compile a good Linux capable desktop pc ?

Post by dawgdoc »

Take a look at the Mint Community site. There is a Hardware Device database page with search capabilities. Mint users post what works and doesn't for them there.

I seem to recall there being a problem in Linux in burning bluray disks, but check to be sure.
.William.

Post by .William. »

Thanks very much for this information I wasn't aware such a database exists.
I checked and I found:
Processor - AMD(R) PhenomII X6 1090T - 3.2 GHz :
Found: Phenom II X6 1055T Status: Works perfectly

Motherboard - MSI AM3 890GXM-G65 :
Found: Out of 13 different reviewed MSI motherboards 12 work perfectly and 1 with some minor problems.

Videocard - COLORFUL NVIDIA GTS450 OC 2XDVI/MHDMI/GDDR5 1024MB
Found: There are a large numner of Nvidia reports available, but since my card has only been released a week ago... you get the picture ;) In general Nvidia usually works perfectly with a few reports of problems. I did notice how some people just accept defeat easily; I will bring it back to the store if it doesn't meet my expectations. But people differ.

Harddisk - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 r/pm
Found 16 Status: 15 work perfectly 1 works partially (but owner blames Mint, not driver).

Memory - Kingston 8GB (4x2) DDR3 1333 MHz
Found 6 Status: Works perfectly

Blu Ray player - LG BH10LS30 BLURAY BURNER
Found 2 LG Blu Ray players Status: Works perfectly

LAN - Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111DL
Found 9 different ones but they all work perfectly.

Audio - Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC889
Found 4 in the ALC series and they all work perfectly
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Sounds like a very nice system and it should hold you in good stead for a few years to come with those specs. FREEBSD " The Other OS " :roll:

Return to “Hardware Support”