strange video problen in docking station

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jcpeart
Level 1
Level 1

strange video problen in docking station

Post by jcpeart »

I am using a Dell D810. If I try to play a video file when the laptop is NOT docked, everything works as it should. However when the laptop is docked, that portion of the screen in totem where the video would be displayed is black. I can see the rest of the screen such as the "contols", but the picture is simply black. The audio does work as it is supposed to. I am using an old analog CRT monitor. This did not used to happen, but then I was using Cassandra and a flat screen LCD monitor with a DVI cable connection. I changed monitors and upgraded to Celena at about the same time.

Any idea what is going on and how it might be fixed.

Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You upgraded Mint and downgraded the monitor :)
It seems to be some error "in communication" between card and monitor, so check if the cable to the monitor is properly connected - and, yes partial connection can lead to all sorts of funny problems. (not sure about this one though)
Raletia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raletia »

If the same thing can happen in Linux that can happen in windows... I've had that happen before with my laptop, in my case its a Compaq N600c, anyway.. when another output was turned on, regardless of whether it was hooked up to a moniter or tv or anything, unless the video card driver was told to duplicate the 'video overlay' to the other screen(s) it would only display it on one, which would lead to the place where the video should being black, however if I hooked it up to the tv, for example, it would be showing on the tv but on the built in screen and any plugged in monitor it would be black.

So... what I'm getting at.. is maybe when its docked it thinks another screen is on and its sending the video there instead. As for how to fix it.. I dunno... in my case on XP I just went to the display properties and on one of the custom ATI tabs was a control for that.

Return to “Hardware Support”