Upgrading video driver for NVIDIA GEForce 2 MX400 128 MB?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spalding

Upgrading video driver for NVIDIA GEForce 2 MX400 128 MB?

Post by Spalding »

When I run the Hardware Drivers App from the System Menu in Mint 9 Fluxbox edition, it says it recommends the proprietary NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 96.

I am very hesitant because I had untold NVIDIA driver troubles back on Ubuntu 9, in fact it is the main reason I changed to Mint 9.

It SHOULD be harmless enough to activate it, but I want to be sure I can get back to where I am if it is a bust.

I tried some simple games and they were unusable as is, but my main goal is to improve Youtube playback - will this driver help? Or should I upgrade the ancient video card?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimmy10111

Re: Upgrading video driver for NVIDIA GEForce 2 MX400 128 MB

Post by jimmy10111 »

Spalding wrote:When I run the Hardware Drivers App from the System Menu in Mint 9 Fluxbox edition, it says it recommends the proprietary NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 96.

I am very hesitant because I had untold NVIDIA driver troubles back on Ubuntu 9, in fact it is the main reason I changed to Mint 9.

It SHOULD be harmless enough to activate it, but I want to be sure I can get back to where I am if it is a bust.

I tried some simple games and they were unusable as is, but my main goal is to improve Youtube playback - will this driver help? Or should I upgrade the ancient video card?

Try it. I got a 6600GT 256mB AGP and it works really crappy on Flash content such as youtube with the latest nvidia drivers.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Spalding wrote:When I run the Hardware Drivers App from the System Menu in Mint 9 Fluxbox edition, it says it recommends the proprietary NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 96.

It should work fine, but (as with everything) there is no guarantee.

It's worth mentioning, however, that there is no support for the MX400 in Ubuntu versions after 10.04, and therefore no support in Linux Mint 10. The standard drivers are available, but you will have no OpenGL support.
jimmy10111

Post by jimmy10111 »

rob2uk wrote:

It should work fine, but (as with everything) there is no guarantee.

It's worth mentioning, however, that there is no support for the MX400 in Ubuntu versions after 10.04, and therefore no support in Linux Mint 10. The standard drivers are available, but you will have no OpenGL support.
There was other people trying to get older cards before the MX400 to work in 10. Such as a Nvidia TNT card. This explains it right there that junk hardware over 10 years old is useless with newest version of Linux. They were lucky to have it to work in Mint 9 just fine considering the last two versions of windows (Vista and 7) does not even support it.
chachi

Post by chachi »

Why not buy something newer than a MX400? I just looked at Newegg and they have 8400GS cards for $24. Those cards will do VDPAU which takes a load off the CPU.

Return to “Hardware Support”