Keyboard not working on other desktops

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
superkev
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard not working on other desktops

Post by superkev »

Hi everyone,

Been using Linux for a few years now, though I do not consider myself any type of expert. I dumped Win 7 for Mint about 3-4 weeks ago on my Compaq laptop CQ60-211 model. Everything was humming along beautifully and I was well pleased with my choice until a couple days ago when I began having some strange issues. I use 4 virtual desktops and keep Thunderbird open in one and my web browser open in another, then of course, switch back and forth between them and applications I might be using on the other two for writing or what have you.

First thing I noticed was that when I would go to shut down Firefox by clicking on the X button in the control bar it would refuse to close and I am having to use the 'Force Quit' app to get it to shut down.

Second thing I noticed was that if I opened say, Google Chrome, on another desktop I had no keyboard functionality, no cursor in the search box and could not type any characters, although I could close it ok.

Third is if I clicked on a link that would bring up Thunderbird to write an email on Firefox (when it would open a small 'compose mail' box with the email inserted already) I again would have no keyboard functionality.

Now before just 2-3 days ago, all this worked just fine with no issues at all. I have my system fully updated and install those regularly so I don't know if perhaps a recent update changed something or what, but it is becoming rather frustrating at this point.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as I use this laptop for work and this stuff is slowing me down considerably.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
superkev
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard not working on other desktops

Post by superkev »

Just a bump. Hoping someone can help me get this sorted, it's really messing me up now with trying to get things done and having to log out to be able to have my keyboard work on all my desktops.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Return to “Hardware Support”