External hdd not recognised!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acid_clown

External hdd not recognised!

Post by acid_clown »

I have two machines with mint 8 installed.
One will recognise my ntfs external hdd fine, however the other one wont. so it IS possible for linux to read ntfs, can anyone shed any light on this issue?
I have tried it in all usb slots, its not a hardware issue, it must be software, i have tried using ntfs-config, that didnt seem to do anything.
In disk management, it shows up as an unrecognised partition.
On the machine that can read it, i have tried another ntfs external hdd and it read that too. and again the other machine didnt.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: External hdd not recognised!

Post by JasonLG »

acid_clown wrote:I have two machines with mint 8 installed.
One will recognise my ntfs external hdd fine, however the other one wont. so it IS possible for linux to read ntfs, can anyone shed any light on this issue?
I have tried it in all usb slots, its not a hardware issue, it must be software, i have tried using ntfs-config, that didnt seem to do anything.
In disk management, it shows up as an unrecognised partition.
On the machine that can read it, i have tried another ntfs external hdd and it read that too. and again the other machine didnt.
Sounds like a driver issue possibly. Do other USB drives formatted to different file systems show up?

On the offending computer run this in a terminal to see what your usb controller is listed as.

Code: Select all

lspci
acid_clown

Re: External hdd not recognised!

Post by acid_clown »

Hi,
The usb controller is intel 82801i
usb memory sticks show up fine, its just big HDDs that seem not to.

I have forced it to mount by using:

sudo mkdir media/sdb1
then

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
I can see evrything on it, and use it normally like this. but have to be root to unmount it, and have to type that lot in everytime i want to use the drive. Is there a way of automating it to just mount without all that faffing around?

Return to “Hardware Support”