HP ZE4365US problem

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

HP ZE4365US problem

Postby comsparks on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Replaced the battery in laptop and loaded in 3.1 which works great. After about an hour or so the battery light turns from green to amber and starts flashing. At that point the computer shuts down. The laptop is plugged in the entire time. I then have to restart the computer and if it doesn't boot up I have to remove and reinsert the battery for it start correctly. The battery turns green after a few minutes and all is well until about an hour or so of inactivity. Any ideas?
Thanks
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby cogDis on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Here's what comes to mind initially:

1. Bad AC adapter

2. The AC adapter connector is loose, either at the end of the cable or on the laptop itself.

3. Bad battery, or improper fit.

My wife had a ZE 4000 series HP lappy. We had to send it in twice for repairs to the soldered on connector on the mother board. (Where the AC adapter plugs into). It has a design/manufacturing flaw that can cause it to come loose and short, creating an intermittent charging situation. I've also had an AC adapter go bad, Perhaps you can find someone with a similar HP or Compaq laptop and try their adapter? If it cures your problem you can order a replacement. Beware - not just any adapter will work. Some seem identical but produce slightly different output. However, many of the HP's and Compaqs used the same adapterl

Good luck, CD
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby comsparks on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:01 pm

AC adapter working. I can run laptop without battery. Battery monitor and light indicator show charging up to 100%. Brand new battery installed and talking with distributor about it. Strange thing.
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Postby comsparks on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:33 pm

I did notice something though. The fan never came on in the computer and I believe it was overheating which caused it to shut down unexpectantly. I was wondering if anyone was having problems with 3.1 in laptops?
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support