Laptop volume too loud, both PCM and Master go up

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
v1nce

Laptop volume too loud, both PCM and Master go up

Post by v1nce »

On most other distros i would have the problem of my volume being too low. I far prefer this state of affairs. ;) Still it is a bit inconvenient and slightly worrying. A little above two thirds of the max is louder than i ever play it. If i go beyond half the volume accidentally i think i will pop my speakers..!
When i run Alsamixer from the CLI i notice that when i raise the volume using the special keys on my Thinkpad R61 one press raises the Master from 00 to 42% and the PCM from 0 to 47%.. Next press raises only the master from 47 to 70, PCM stays at 47. Next one only master to 86, next Master 98, next Master 100, PCM 53. After that each presses raises PCM by about 3 to 7%.

I think the solution would be to keep the PCM stable at about 40% and have only the master raise, preferably by 3% increments or so. I have no idea how to do this in Mint, i can't seem to find the menu/tab i would use in other distros to set the PCM at a fixed value..

Any ideas? If you need additional info/i missed something please tell me, i will provide it asap.

Really appreciate any help it!!

Kind regards,

Vincent
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Laptop volume too loud, both PCM and Master go up

Post by JasonLG »

v1nce wrote:On most other distros i would have the problem of my volume being too low. I far prefer this state of affairs. ;) Still it is a bit inconvenient and slightly worrying. A little above two thirds of the max is louder than i ever play it. If i go beyond half the volume accidentally i think i will pop my speakers..!
When i run Alsamixer from the CLI i notice that when i raise the volume using the special keys on my Thinkpad R61 one press raises the Master from 00 to 42% and the PCM from 0 to 47%.. Next press raises only the master from 47 to 70, PCM stays at 47. Next one only master to 86, next Master 98, next Master 100, PCM 53. After that each presses raises PCM by about 3 to 7%.

I think the solution would be to keep the PCM stable at about 40% and have only the master raise, preferably by 3% increments or so. I have no idea how to do this in Mint, i can't seem to find the menu/tab i would use in other distros to set the PCM at a fixed value..

Any ideas? If you need additional info/i missed something please tell me, i will provide it asap.

Really appreciate any help it!!

Kind regards,

Vincent
I'm assuming that you are running the Main GNOME Version because you didn't say otherwise. If so you can adjust the volume via the indicator applet in the lower right hand corner of your screen.
v1nce

Post by v1nce »

Hey Jason,

Thanks for tip. :) But of course i tried that and also looked in the 'sound preferences' section but did not find any place where i could lock down the PCM volume... I find it very convenient to be able to use the button rather than the slider so that is why i am trying to sort this out.
v1nce

Post by v1nce »

Turns out i seemed to have (partially) solved it myself. :) In the sound preferences menu (you get it when you left click the speaker icon on lower right) the fifth/last tab is entitled 'applications'. Turns out i can set the (max) volume for my music player app and Firefox browser there. Interesting, i have never seen anything like that on PCLinuxOS, maybe because that is a KDE distro that handles these settings in another way and place?

Return to “Hardware Support”