How to Mount a 2nd HDD as "sda2

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rick Harvey

How to Mount a 2nd HDD as "sda2

Post by Rick Harvey »

What commands do I need to mount a 2nd HDD as sda2?

I use it for mass storage, (pictures, Videos, PDF's, downloaded uninstalled back up programs, and other things I want to protect from windows crashes) and also use it with windows.

I have the first drive to start windows or LINUX MINT 6. The D Drive works fine there on the same belt, with windows.

Thanks
Rick Harvey
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to Mount a 2nd HDD as "sda2

Post by altair4 »

Without known all the facts I'd be willing to bet you can't mount the second HDD as sda2. You can mount the second partition of the first HDD as sda2. I'm basically confused by your post.
I have the first drive to start windows or LINUX MINT 6.
You have a dual boot on HDD1 where Windows and Linux are in different partitions.

Or is this a mint4win install?
The D Drive works fine there on the same belt, with windows.
Is the "D Drive" what you are referring to as the second HDD?

If this is a mint4win install try looking at /media within your linux OS to see if you can see your "D Drive"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Rick Harvey

Post by Rick Harvey »

Yes the windows and Mint 6 are on HDD1, in different partitions.

NOT mint4win

The 2nd hard drive (D), is on the same belt' and ran fine with windows

I want that drive to be on the A belt, position 2, (like the slave position it is in windows), so I can still have the same functions as in windows, and switch back and forth
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

cat /etc/fstab

mount
And from the output of the blkid command if you could identify which of the partitions you wish to mount then I think either I or any number of people in this forum can help you.

You might also want to look at the following HowTo:
Auto Mount Partitions on Boot (also Windows partitions): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

The first HDD is sda, and the second is sdb. You can't change that. The numbers after the first 3 letters identify the partitions on the drives, not the drives. You can swap sda and sdb, but you can't make different drives show up on the same identifier.

Return to “Hardware Support”