lspci doesn't list Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colinkeenan

lspci doesn't list Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Post by colinkeenan »

Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 (just installed 10/27/2010) dual boot with Windows ME
633MHz Intel Celeron, built in math processor, 128kb external cache
256MB SDRAM
Wired Ethernet access via a CardBus Realtek RTL8139 based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter which works fine in Windows ME but not even recognized in Linux Mint Fluxbox 9

I found a Gateway Profile 3 all-in-one computer in the trash and to my surprise it basically worked, but with Windows ME I couldn't install a modern web browser. I tried lubuntu 10.10 but it hung on install. Next I tried Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 and it installed fine but doesn't seem to know about the cardbus network card I bought to get this computer on the Internet. Even though there's a network adapter on the motherboard, it was disabled in some way for this model and covered by the case. I cut a hole in the case, but neither Windows ME nor Linux Mint recognize that the onboard network adapter is there.

The cardbus network card was recognized by Windows ME as a Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and works fine under Windows ME. Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 doesn't seem to know the cardbus network card is plugged in though. Here is the complete list from lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA USB Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801AA SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:05.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
01:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

I don't see anything about an Ethernet adapter in this list. I tried installing the Windows XP driver that came with the cardbus network card using ndiswrapper. After installing with "sudo ndiswrapper -i Netrtlx.inf", "ndiswrapper -l" reports netrtlx is installed but says nothing about the hardware being present. I realize ndiswrapper is meant for wireless and this is a wired connection, but I was just trying whatever I could find on the Internet.

How can I get Linux Mint to recognize the CardBus Ethernet Adapter I'm using with this computer?

In case some errors that flash on the screen during boot-up are relevant, how can I see a log of those errors?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: lspci doesn't list Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Ada

Post by inktitan »

I probably can't help you. But

Code: Select all

dmesg
gives a boot script. It can get quite long so make sure your terminal is set to let you scroll up/back pretty far or infinitely. I think this could be a kernel issue. But usually the kernel that lacks the driver can still detect the device.
chachi

Post by chachi »

Colin

You said, "I found a Gateway Profile 3 all-in-one computer in the trash and to my surprise it basically worked,..."

Maybe that was the reason that you found the machine in the trash. Just a thought.
colinkeenan

Post by colinkeenan »

I just tried antiX-M8.5-686 and booting from the CD it easily got onto the internet using a browser I never heard of "Iceape". I definitely like the look and feel of Linux Mint better, but it doesn't work with this hardware.
colinkeenan

Post by colinkeenan »

In case anyone else is considering antiX-M8.5 installed OK, and it gets on the Internet with Iceape (a Seamonkey clone), but I want to use Firefox and so far I can't get Firefox (or Iceweasel, the Firefox clone) to install. I also can't get Samba installed so although I'm on the internet, I'm not on my Windows network, and also not able to use what I would consider to be a modern browser. I also can't figure out how to install downloaded .deb packages.

I hope Linux Mint fixes this hardware issue I'm having with the CardBus Ethernet Adapter.
colinkeenan

Post by colinkeenan »

Another update with my antiX experience. With ubuntu, I never had to know that the way to install .deb packages is with dpkg -i, but now that I know that, I got Google Chrome working in antiX and even the Google Talk Plugin that allows free phone calls to landline and cell phones from Gmail-Google Talk. Finally, I got this computer using a modern web browser. Still can't get samba or smbclient installed due to some crazy dependency on an older version of samba-common than the one that was installed from the CD. But now I'm commited to antiX because it will obviously work where unfortunately Linux Mint just won't see my ethernet adapter.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

You can get gdebi to help install. It allows you to right click and open with gdebi. It is supposed to take of the dependencies as well. But I think it is just a front end for dpkg

Return to “Hardware Support”