What MP3 Player do you use?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

What MP3 Player do you use?

Post by jokersloose »

After doing some research on my Nano it seems Apple and Linux doesn't play well together (funny as they are cousins) so I was wondering MP3 player everyone uses that works well in Mint?

James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: What MP3 Player do you use?

Post by Elisa »

rhythmbox, banshee, amarok, audacious, gmusicbrowser...
Then also any player like: Smplayer, gnomeplayer, VLC, audacity, xine, cmus...
jokersloose

Re: What MP3 Player do you use? (hardware)

Post by jokersloose »

Guess I should have been more specific

What hardware do you use? What can I buy that plays well with Mint?

Sorry,

James
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I use a Sansa Fuze. Plays well with Linux, can easily be set to either MTP or MSC, shows up as a mass storage device, from which any Linux player can play the songs when connected to the PC. Banshee and others will also sync your music with it if you want. I don't want, but others do. I don't recall reading anyone who had a problem with a Fuze, other than user ignorance, which is easily fixed. It also has voice recording, FM radio, and plays videos if you want that. The microSD slot is the main feature that sold me, but I like pretty much everything about it.
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Can you record the FM as it plays on it? That would be perfect for me.

James
snapman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snapman »

Recent Sony Walkman models are fine with Linux (drag and drop). Video files are easily manipulated into the right format using ffmpeg. The Sony software (MS-windows only) isn't needed. For earlier Walkman models, JSymphonic is an open source replacement for Sony's SonicStage software
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Cowon iAudio 9

just drag & drop your music / photo's
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

jokersloose wrote:Can you record the FM as it plays on it? That would be perfect for me.

James
I don't know. I've never tried that. Recording an FM broadcast never occurred to me. However, the specs on the SanDisk website list
Digital FM Tuner with record functions
From the manual:
1. Your Sansa Fuze+ player can record a FM radio broadcast until one of two events
occurs: (1) the available memory on the device is exhausted; (2) the battery is
drained. However, the device will take a very, very long recording and break it into
individual files of approximately two hours in length.
2. While recording a FM broadcast, hit the play/pause button to filter out unwanted
content within a single file, such as commercials, for example. You will still be able
to hear the broadcast when doing this.
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

Sansa Fuze. My wife has a Sansa Clip (which is very small, but I actually like it a lot).
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I also have a Clip somewhere, but I haven't seen it in many months. It's so small it disappeared, and I can't find it. No big loss, though, because it has no memory card slot, so it's limited to whatever memory is installed from the factory. It is handy to carry around, though, being so small. Maybe it will turn up someday... :(
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

I-Pod Classic and Touch work in Linux Mint (32 and 64),Old classics can be found cheap(There's a how-to on this forum for I-Pods) In the How-To sub Forum 8)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

There is a reason they're cheap. :twisted:
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

I have a Sandisk Clip that works well, it's small and I just copy and paste my tunes to it using the USB cable. The other thing I like is that it will play ogg files which I prefer over mp3.

My Motorola Cliq XT phone also has a media player built in or you can download others. It plays well also, same as the Clip just copy and paste.

Now my wife has a iPod Clip and it will work but it is much more of a pain using Rythmbox and once you do it that was it is best not to every connect it to iTunes again as it seems to corrupt the database.

I prefer to be able to just copy my tunes directly to the MP3 player as opposed it using a 3rd party program.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Sansa Fuze (8G). Simple drag and drop (after a lot of frustration trying to get the &%^$# Windows Music Manager thinger to work properly). the only drawback that I found in Linux based music management is the playlist option. Found from another posting somewhere that using folders (and playing by folders) gets around that issue nicely.

-DataMan
CaptHilts

Post by CaptHilts »

atm Cowon s9 32GB

as usal, Cowon (my old one was the 60GB X5) works like an external HD, just plug-in, Nautilus opens and drag&drop the files you want. Doesn't really matter what OS (win, gnu/linux, mac), usually it works just like that. Touchscreens aren't near as smooth as iTouch/Phone, however sound quality is usually much better (using the same headphones on both devices, that is).

A friend asked me to put some music on her iTouch, just used Rhythmbox - no issues whatsoever either.

Cheers
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

sgosnell wrote:There is a reason they're cheap. :twisted:
But they Work,most of the time better than some of the new stuff posted Here :) Apple Hate :shock: But for real the Classics(160Gs) is also easy to repair(How tos all over 8)

Return to “Hardware Support”