Touchpad Issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cjacchus

Touchpad Issue

Post by cjacchus »

hello you guys.
This is my first time here, I really hope I'm not asking something that have already been asked, but I searched for it a lot and couldn't find any solution.

Well, I have an HP G62 laptop and I have installed Linux Mint 10 RC (gnome edition) in this computer, and these days I've been trying to have access to all my touchpad functions, like two-finger scrolling and stuff. This functions are working when i log in Windows 7.
I used to have that "Touchpad" tab on Mouse->Preferences, but after following some tutorials about it, it has gone (The Two-Finger Scrolling option was grayed out).And now I can't change my touchpad settings, like sensitivity (it does change on mouse->preferences, but it doesnt cause any effects).

Then I tried to type this on Terminal

Code: Select all

fran@fran-HP-G62-Notebook-PC ~ $ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                 	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Webcam-101                           	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
My girlfriend has a laptop similar to mine, I found out that her touchpad is detected as SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad. I think this may be a sign that something is really wrong in here, I afraid I've messed it up!

I hope you guys can help me(: thanks!

EDIT:I tried to follow this http://www.vivaolinux.com.br/dica/Confi ... -no-Ubuntu tutorial (itś in portuguese but i think you guys can understand it anyway), it didn't worked, and then i couldnt even boot my computer. I booted it in recovery mode, undid my changes, and now i have the touchpad tab again!

fran@fran-HP-G62-Notebook-PC ~ $ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Webcam-101                           	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cjacchus

Re: Touchpad Issue

Post by cjacchus »

So, how can I enable two-finger-scrolling, please?
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
cjacchus

Post by cjacchus »

Thanks, darethehair, but I'm still looking for a way to have access to all the functions that, in theory, are provided by the SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad, like you can see in this link
http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/tech ... hpad-linux.

But thanks anyway!
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

I also have been having/still having issues with my touchpad....I have a Dell Latitude D810 with an Alps P/S2 touchpad. In LM9 KDE, it works fine and am able to resize windows by placing the cursor over the edge of a window, click and drag to resize. In LM10 RC I can't do this, I have to take the cursor to the edge of a window, right click and select resize from the drop down window. I can however, resize like above with LM9 Gnome and any other LM, but not 10 RC.....has anyone been able to get a hold of Clem to let him know of this problem, since he is the dev for this particular version of LM.....I'm suspecting there is a bug or flaw with the kernel. The weird thing is that I can scroll with the touchpad in 10 RC using my finger on the pad. Even playing solitaire, I can't click to hold the card and move to another location to pay the game....I can't click to grab the scroll bar on the web browser to pull down or move up if I wanted to. Can anyone/someone shed some insight on this, on another thread, somebody was going to look into this, but the thread got locked out because of someone elses stupidity. I appreciate all help and input on this...have a great evening. Cheers

Andrew :)
platinumYeti

NO TOUCHPAD TAB - MINT 10

Post by platinumYeti »

Under mouse properties I have no touchpad tab, and the touchpad is not working. xinput only shows the usb mouse connected. Touchpad worked fine on the LiveDVD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Is anyone listening out there?..... :? I can't seem to find the xorg.conf file here in LM10, should be in etc/X11...it's not. How do I make my Alps touchpad work like it's suppose to.....help please....thank you :(
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

andrew5859 wrote:Is anyone listening out there?..... :? I can't seem to find the xorg.conf file here in LM10, should be in etc/X11...it's not. How do I make my Alps touchpad work like it's suppose to.....help please....thank you :(
Sorry I cannot help you directly, but have you read the various other threads on this topic:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p319133

To me it looks like a proper kernel module will eventually show up, but in the meantime it looks like you either have to compile your own patched 'psmouse.ko' (or use the one mentioned in that thread if you have the *same* kernel version), or alternatively add some code to an 'xorg.conf' module as described here:

http://limedaley.com/post/alps-touchpad-configuration

Ideally, 'xorg.conf' is not needed anymore, but in cases like this you may have no choice (in the short run) except to 'generate' one and add that code above. How to generate an 'xorg.conf' file? I only remember doing it a long time ago -- perhaps the right way is described here:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/create-a- ... -file.html

Apparently:

sudo Xorg -configure
Sorry if none of this helps you, but I have no more to offer that I can think of.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “Hardware Support”