If your scanner doesn't work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polymath257

Re: If your scanner doesn't work

Post by polymath257 »

I have a HP Officejet 4500 connected to the network via a router running dd-wrt.

Under 32 bit PAE Mint 14, I was unable to get the scanner to work or to print pdf files (attempting the latter produced a stream of blank pages). Even the hp-check utility froze when attempting to detect scanners: it sat for several minutes with no results. Running simple-scan or xsane both produced freezes at the scanner detection phase. The hp-setup utility allowed the printer to work fine with text files, so it was not a connectivity issue per se.

I ended up downgrading to Mint 13 and now everything works with no hassles.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

To whom it may concern.
I have tried to configure my Brother DCP-115C's Scanner in Mint 14 Mate. I was able to use it in Mint 7 and 13,but M14 appears to not
want to play ball. Where the previous posts said Dev45 or 50 ,my setup appears to be 70 ;which I trioed ,but it cannot find the path.
thanking you ,
cato40 :(
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

For the past couple of hours ,I have been trying to edit the libsane file in Pluma ,but it does not let me edit the relevant lines even using my password.
how can I circumvent this glitch to be able (hopefully) to scan with my Brother MFC.
Thanking you ,
cato40 :?
OldgitTom

Post by OldgitTom »

Businessmik,
Sorry, just caught up with your post, 6 months late. That is truly atrocious - no Linux driver for 2012 Canon kit?! I was nearly caught too - a snazzy bells 'n whistles keyboard which only worked for M/soft. Luckily, shop swapped it. I recently updated to Linux Mint 14 Nadia. Now my old Canonscan doesn't work, again. I've yet to try the sane/libsane treatment, but will let you know, if it's of any interest to a/one. Cetainly, booting in & out of two OSs to scan & print is a tedious bummer.
OldgitTom

Post by OldgitTom »

Businessmik et al,
after d/loading 'sane' from Software Manager, my old Canonascan Lide20/30 works again with updated Linux 14 Nadia. Maybe it has to do with my old box being 32-bit? Since there is no longer much money in desktop hardware, software developers prolly concentrate wholly on new 64-bit products & forget about backward-compatibility - like for new Linux distros.

I've also tried the drivers from the Canon site. Even the 'newer' M/soft ones never worked for me.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

acidblue wrote:I have a HP Officejet pro 8600 all in one.
I can print but the scanner is not recognized in simple scan.
This worked fine in Linux Mint 13, but after clean install of Linux mInit 14 64 bit I cannot get the scanner recognized.

This is connected via wireless not usb or printer port.
I have tried sane-find-scanner, but it does not find the scanner.
Any suggetsions??
Did you ever get your scanner problem solved? I have the same model printer and is having the same issue with Cinnamon 17.2 64 bit. The printer works fine, even doublesided, but will not work with Simple scan. Matter of fact, the printer doesn't even show the Linux computer in its list of the other computers (they are Windows -at the moment).

edit: I wonder if I should be creating a new post for this as this one is over 2 years old . . ., anyway, I found this info here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/14 but I already have hplip installed with the printer working except for the scanner which I'd love to have working as well. I went and installed hplip-gui and that gave me the HP Device Manager that would like to setup the printer. So I imagine I have to remove the first installation from Software Manager??

2nd edit: I found these instructions here, https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to- ... rinter/879 and they worked for the problem I was having.

3rd edit: Well, it didn't work. It did only for the time the usb was connected but once setup was finished, Simple Scan would not work. See below:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.15.2)
Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Checking for Deprecated items....
error: This distro (i.e linuxmint 17.2) is either deprecated or not yet supported.
The diagnosis is limited on unsupported platforms. Do you want to continue?(y=yes*, n=no):n

Please close this terminal manually.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Return to “Hardware Support”