If your scanner doesn't work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaqian

Re: If your scanner don't work

Post by jaqian »

Do HP have good Linux support now?
Husse

Post by Husse »

The support for HP printers is excellent, but the support for scanners somewhat lacking, but I think it works
Try to check the compatibility before you buy
Remember that many scanners don't really work well under Windows either
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

Husse wrote: Remember that many scanners don't really work well under Windows either
Thats a new one on me. I've seen crappy scanners and good scanners come with crappy software but they always work under Windows. I'd love to see Ubuntu work on getting support built into hardware (printers & scanners) for Ubuntu. Don't really care if support is proprietry or free as long as it works.
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK many scanners have crappy drivers ....
Was a while since I experimented with this but loads of different scanners would not work in XP (hands on experience)
Don't ask me for details - it was when I had my computer business and I do my best to forget it :)
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

Husse wrote:OK many scanners have crappy drivers ....
Was a while since I experimented with this but loads of different scanners would not work in XP (hands on experience)
Don't ask me for details - it was when I had my computer business and I do my best to forget it :)
Fair enough. I won't try and torture you :) When I get the funds for a new scanner I will check to see if its Linux friendly. My scanner, printer and external harddrive support were the main reason I hadn't switched fully to Linux, now that Mint has solved all other problems, its only the scanner thats holding me back.
Eesaurus

Re: If your scanner doesn't work

Post by Eesaurus »

I solved my scanner problem (Canon Pixma MX300) by installing both, XP and Linux (Mint). Well, i had to install XP anyway because of my atk -studies, but... When i need to scan, which is rare, i boot to XP. Mint is (of course :)) my main os.

This doesn't solve the original problem, i know, but it is one way to go around it.

By the way, my Canon Pixma MX300 scanner works in Ubuntu 9.10. Maybe some other scanners work in it too. 9.10 is still beta, but the final version comes out october 29. I guess the next version of Mint is also better with scanners.

EDIT:
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi:
I also, do the same with my Brother DCP-115C ;use the WinXP for scanning and Mint foe Printing.
cheers,
cato40
Husse

Post by Husse »

Brother has excellent support for Linux printers and scanners, but you have to do a bit of tinkering
The Brother Solution Center has drivers for Linux
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi Husse,
Thanks for that. Since I posted, last, I have installed Mint 7 on my Main Tower, and only Mint 7 ,no XP .
I had no trouble installing the Brother DCP-115C as MFC -210C ;I am still trying to find time to enable the Scanner side of it.
My adjacent tower has Mint 7 XFCE ,tad slow , but it works, with an Epson Colorstylus 740, very good.
This tower I call my Test tower, because I use it to try different Distros, and the first thing that I try on any distro is,
Printer compatibility; if it works, good ,if not Well, NEXT. I find the any KDE Distros are not very Epson 740- compatible.
Hope this helps all.
cato40 :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

The version of hplip in Helena is 3.9.8
You can find the latest hplip here
It's very simple to run the installer - quoted from the hplip page
To use the Automatic Installer, follow these steps:

1. Download the file to a convenient location (e.g., home directory or desktop, etc).
2. Open a console/terminal and cd to the location where the installer was downloaded. (e.g., cd ~/Desktop)
3. Type in and run this command: 'sh hplip-3.9.10.run'
And please note that in Mint you can right click and open a terminal and that the terminal has autocomplete - you probably only have to type sh hp + Tab
I mention this because sometimes it seems like an unsurmountable obstacle as son as the terminal is mentioned
If the built in scanner utility doesn't work please try Xsane - you can install it from the software manager
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

Husse wrote: If the built in scanner utility doesn't work please try Xsane - you can install it from the software manager
And if that doesn't work, try Vuescan. Its a commercial application that has a linux version that I have used before and it worked quite well with my old HP 5370c. I haven't tried it yet on Helena but will be trying it tonight.
ipernar

Post by ipernar »

hotweiss wrote:My Canon scanner is collecting dust thanks to the fact that Canon doesn't think that 30 million Linux users are not important...
Is it that huge community :D?
harrylin

Post by harrylin »

Well my scanner Canon Lide 50 doesn't work with Mint 8. :(

What happens is that the scanner is recognized but when I want a preview or scan (with the scanner utility or with Xsane which I also installed by now), the waiting time is infinite. Sometimes (usually not) there is a sound from the scanner motor for 1 second. That's all...

However, it DID work with Mint 6. :x
So I tried the suggestions of this thread as well as other suggestions that I found on Internet - no result. I also tried without result putting an override file that I called 45-basic-permissions.rules in etc/udev/rules.d; but as I didn't really know what I did, it may have been just a long shot in the right direction.

I still hope that someone has a good idea.
Anyone? Somehow it seems that not many people have such problems...
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

I still have my Brother MFC-490CW and I tried to scan something yesterday and it wouldn't connect to the computer. All the info on my computer and the stuff on getting the printer to work are here. I went to Brother and downloaded from here the brscan 32bit and the scan-key-tool 32bit. installed them with the GDebi Package Installer and still no connection. The scanner doesn't even scan (didn't before, either). Went back and tried to follow the Terminal instructions and kept getting thwarted.

So, what am I doing wrong, pray tell? I'm getting this little bit by little bit and I'm hoping to invest in some professional help once my situation improves. Until then, what specific commands do I need to enter into the Terminal to get this puppy to work?

Thanks.
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

I have some things going on and I'd really like to be able to use the scan function on my printer. I'd create a new topic for it, but I don't want to clutter up the forums. I have enough trouble with this silly-assed machine as it is. Please, take a look at the preceding post and kindly lend a hand to a broken-down old idiot. :roll:

Thank y'all.
dizmoduck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dizmoduck »

i'm thinking of buy a EPSON Perfection V500 but Epson lick to support linux driver but i found
that Avasys make some iscan driver for Epson

On the website they have 32/64 bit driver
http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL2.do

but but in the doc.
http://linux.avasys.jp/drivers/testresu ... oslist.pdf

they have not test the driver

I'm a bit confused

any advised
---
Venlig Hilsen / Kind Regards
/dizmoduck

- live your dreams, don't dream your life
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi All :
I thought that I had success with the latest forum entry for my Brother DCp-115C Multifunction.But, I get the following error:
Error during CMS conversion could not open scanner ICM profile.
Hope this helps, nearly there.
cato40 :|
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i Thought that I would not be able to scan any documents, but I was able to locate my trial document in my Home file, as a jpeg. file.
So thanks to every one who participated in helping me. It does work, Thanks, Mint.
cato40 :D
jabot

Post by jabot »

Hi all,
just thought I'd share this fix with anyone who needs to get an Epson scanner working, (Mint 9 and i.i.r.c. also on Mint 7).
I do a lot of film photography and consequent scanning of negatives and slides, so I really needed to get my scanner up and running on Mint 9 now that I have dumped XP. Unfortunately though my V200 scanner isn't supported in Sane, Xsane or anywhere else, so I needed to find an answer elsewhere. By good luck I remembered seeing something about Avasys here in the forums and tried their website :

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

It's not the most intuitive of sites to work in, but I finally located and downloaded a .deb file that seemed to be recommended for my V200; I installed it and BINGO !!
My scanner works fine with the gui provided with the program and an old Perfection 1200 I have works with it too. I can now scan docs, photos, negatives and slides - Result
It still won't work with Sane though !
I hope this info helps someone ....
donvin

Re: If your scanner doesn't work-- Brother DCP-7040

Post by donvin »

Do I have to go back to Ubuntu where it works fine????

The printer of this multifunction works well after following the instructions on the Brother site for Ubuntu. I followed the Brother instructions for adding the scanner driver. The command to check for its being loaded says it is installed.

I've added the line "ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}=="yes"" to both 40-llibsane.rules under both /lib/udev/rules.d and /lib32/udev/rules.d. The equivalent in Ubuntu (really Studio) allows the scanner to scan.

In Mint 9 neither Xsane nor Simple Scan find a scanner. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Don

Return to “Hardware Support”