Linux Mint 10 Julia and floppy disks [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simo

Linux Mint 10 Julia and floppy disks [SOLVED]

Post by simo »

I upgraded my Mint 9 to Mint 10 with no problems and like the look and feel of Julia :) . Most of the drivers were much easier to install than before. The only problem left for me is how to make Julia do auto-mount when I insert a disk in my floppy drive. When I try to use it Julia tells me there is no media in the drive. After I do "udisks --mount /dev/fd0" in terminal mode the system recognizes the disk. So, I'm able to use my old floppies, only that I wouldn't like to use terminal for that :oops: .

With Mint 9 Isadora floppy problems were solved when I forced "udisks 1.0.1 -build (lucid)" but that does not exist any more in package manager. Is there any way to overcome this problem in Mint 10?

-simo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: Linux Mint 10 Julia and floppy disks

Post by 1984 »

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm not used to using the linux comand line and just from reading this I tried that command and it and finally I can access my floppy disks. :)

How did you "force" udisks build? The package manager says I have it installed but obviously it isn't working. Do I have to add another repository? I tried using the two different versions they had there in the package manager but neither made any difference.

I still can't use my native floppy drive in virtualbox. It unmounts as soon as I select it.

Nor will it let me write to the floppy.
This is really irritating that no one seems to be replying to help. My usb floppy drive isn't mounting either. I really need to get my floppy drive working here. Why isn't it working?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

sounds like apparmor maybe blocking you.
try turning it off to test.
service apparmor stop (i think or try the services gui)

cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Post by 1984 »

Thanks for responding

When I entered that command in the terminal it's saying "apparmor: unrecognized service"

I am unaware as to where the "services gui" is. Somewhere on the forum I read that it was removed in mint 9. Unless you are refering to the system monitor. Under processes in the system monitor nothing like apparmor is running.

I looked up apparmor, after a little reading I input in my terminal "sudo: apparmor_status". It gave me back "sudo: apparmor_status: command not found"

Is there something that I am overlooking?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

this may not be apparmor the main edition may remove it.
it could be libvirt which is used for virtualisation like KVM, VMware, Virtual box,...
I have seen a bug report on it today blocking all usb devices.
so try it with no VM started and you may have to stop the libvirt daemon too if it is running.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Create a Menu item that you can use to mount the floppy:

[1] Look at your /etc/fstab and make sure your floppy line looks something like this just to make sure we get the device name correctly:
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
[2] Add an entry to the Menu:

Right Click "Menu"
Select "Edit Menu"
In the "Menus" column select "Accessories" then "New Item"
In the Command box, enter:

Code: Select all

udisks --mount /dev/fd0
In the Name box enter:

Mount Floppy 
Since it's arranged alphabetically you could even use A Mount Floppy

Note: You may need to right click Menu > "Reload Plugins" for the addition to take affect.

Insert a floppy and select "Mount Floppy". A mount icon will appear on your desktop which can be used to unmount the floppy before removal.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Post by 1984 »

"udisks --mount /dev/fd0" works fine for mounting the disks. I can't edit the files on them because the belong to root nor can I use the floppy drive in virtualbox.

This problem is with a standard fd, it has no effect wether a vm is running or not.

This is my fstab file, there is no mention of a floppy drive:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
UUID=afb591a6-c0ce-415e-8ca8-e28de8506c86 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sdc5 during installation
UUID=363c0926-330d-42de-8752-2be07173acb4 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sdc6 during installation
UUID=c15d5ab6-2335-4a5e-99cd-e6cd22ab235a none swap sw 0 0

I really would like the drive to function properly just like my zip drive or dvd drive. When I mount with udisks as soon as I click on my floppy drive disk disapears. Just double clicking on my floppy drive it tells me I have no media inserted.
simo

Post by simo »

Thank you altair4 for your help :) . I had already added an icon on my desktop for mounting of floppy disks. So I don't have to use terminal to do that. The original problem remains: Mint 10 doesn't mount floppies automatically like Mint 9 did.
simo

Re: Linux Mint 10 Julia and floppy disks [SOLVED]

Post by simo »

I decided to consider this case as solved because it is now possible to mount a floppy disk without entering terminal command mode.
bluknight
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluknight »

altair4 wrote:Create a Menu item that you can use to mount the floppy:

[1] Look at your /etc/fstab and make sure your floppy line looks something like this just to make sure we get the device name correctly:
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
[2] Add an entry to the Menu:

Right Click "Menu"
Select "Edit Menu"
In the "Menus" column select "Accessories" then "New Item"
In the Command box, enter:

udisks --mount /dev/fd0
In the Name box enter:

Mount Floppy 
Since it's arranged alphabetically you could even use A Mount Floppy
Thanks that works for me too. But then I still cannot use a floppy to boot LinuxMint ?
The boot message at start says "I/O error dev/fd0"

Return to “Hardware Support”