printer settings puzzle [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3fRI

printer settings puzzle [SOLVED]

Post by 3fRI »

I have a puzzling situation in getting my Canon Pixma iP4300 printer to work with Mint 9 and the problem does not appear to be the printer.

The printer is connected to my wireless router and I'm able to print from both computers wirelessly: a fairly new dual core iMac (Mac OS 10.6.5, Ubuntu 10.04, and Linux Mint 9) and an older dual core MacBook (Mac OS 10.6.5 and Ubuntu 10.10). The URI on the Mac side is the same and I can print; I can also print on the Ubunutu side of both computers, on which the URI is different from the Mac but the same in both Ubuntu distros (dnssd://Canon%20iP4300._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/), and is the same in Mint when I set up the printer on the iMac.

However, when I I try to print using Mint, it begins to process the job and quits at 7% (once at 24%). At that point, I see a message that suggest that the it's not connected. Printer State reads "Idle - /usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed. As a Linux newbie, I'm not sure what this means, but I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer; I've tried using the Mac URI; I've also tried using the network and router addresses, but can't get the printer to print using Mint. I have set all the settings to match the Ubuntu settings, since the printer works with both Ubuntu distros.

Can one of you gurus offer a fix? I welcome line commands or GUI advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: printer settings puzzle

Post by altair4 »

I'm not a guru but dnssd is avahi so the first thing I would do is see if avahi is running:

Code: Select all

sudo service avahi-daemon status
If it's not running start it:

Code: Select all

sudo service avahi-daemon start
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
3fRI

Re: printer settings puzzle

Post by 3fRI »

Thanks, it appears to be running:

avahi-daemon start/running, process 1025

What do I do next?
3fRI

Re: printer settings puzzle--SOLVED

Post by 3fRI »

As it turned out, I needed to re-partition the hard drive and decided to re-install Linux Mint 9 (isadora). After I reconfigured the printer, everything worked fine. :D
3fRI

Re: printer settings puzzle-SOLVED

Post by 3fRI »

I solved this problem when I reinstalled Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) and reinstalled the printer. It works fine now. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”