CPU Scaling monitor issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistapete

CPU Scaling monitor issue

Post by vistapete »

Hi completely new to Linux just installed Mint 10 on an eeepc S101 and am quite pleased with it so far...except.

Wanted to extend battery life using the CPU Scaling applet but have found the following problems.

Initially, when on mains power only 1.6Ghz was available despite 1.6, 1.33, 1.07 and 800Mhz being listed, selecting any other freq or mode made no difference.

When on battery power only 1.33Ghz was selectable.

Did a search and found out about the files under the cpu folder that detail frequency limits and sure enough the min_freq one was set to 1.6Ghz, so tried to alter it (as administrator) and got a red bar error about incorrect parameter then an amber bar warning but the file seemed to change with the new value 800Mhz (I did this in both CPU0 and CPU1 folders) - although I know it's not a real dual core processor - N270 with hyper-threading.

After doing this, the applet appeared to work, all the frequencies/modes were selectable and the graphic/text changed to reflect the new cpu freq.

Overjoyed I pulled the power lead out the back but it went back to the old behaviour immediately (i.e stuck on 1.33GHz) putting the power lead back in reverted to 1.6Ghz and nothing else selectable.

Anyone have any info on a fix otherwise I'm stuck with about 3hrs or less battery life?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: CPU Scaling monitor issue

Post by TBABill »

Not sure if this will be a permanent fix, but worth a shot:

Code: Select all

sudo cpufreq-info
to see what mode you are in. Most likely it will come back with "performance" just like that, in quotes. If you want it to scale, do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo cpufreq-set --governor ondemand
To verify, just do the first code again and look for the word in the text in quotes. It should say "ondemand".

I do not know if that will impact the applet functionality in any way, however, but you will at least move away from performance to ondemand, which will save on power usage.
mads

Re: CPU Scaling monitor issue

Post by mads »

Hi!

You might find the solution here:
governor in your rc.local? in LMDE (solved): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=59230

Return to “Hardware Support”