My Webcam likes Cheese but...[SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
filolog

Re: My Webcam likes Cheese but...[SOLVED]

Post by filolog »

Hi,

I have just made my Creative Live! Cam Vista IM VF0260 work in Skype in Mint 10.
I tried various instructions, (e.g.: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61103 ) but only the below command worked for me.

In terminal I used this to launch Skype:
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

Then, once Skype opened, in Options I tested my webcam and it worked!

So in order to always open my Skype in this way, I edited the Skype icon on the desktop - just right-clicked on it and in properties I pasted the above in the command field.

I hope this will help someone as well!

;)
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

filolog wrote:Hi,

I have just made my Creative Live! Cam Vista IM VF0260 work in Skype in Mint 10.
I tried various instructions, (e.g.: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61103 ) but only the below command worked for me.

In terminal I used this to launch Skype:
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

Then, once Skype opened, in Options I tested my webcam and it worked!

So in order to always open my Skype in this way, I edited the Skype icon on the desktop - just right-clicked on it and in properties I pasted the above in the command field.

I hope this will help someone as well!

;)
Great fix! Many thanks filolog.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Thank you, works here as well, on an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. This should be implemented in the .iso, so there wouldn't be any problems. Thanks again!
llogg

Post by llogg »

fantastic solution. I am using Docky and had to create a desktop shortcut to use this fix and then place the shortcut in the dock. works great, thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”