Digital output from Xonar D2 card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thranduil

Digital output from Xonar D2 card

Post by Thranduil »

Hi,

I am new to Linux and I have just installed Mint 10. I have an Asus Xonar D2 soundcard, and the analogue output is working correctly. However, I cannot get any sound out of the digital output. I am trying to send the signal over fibre to my speakers. I have unmuted it in Alsamixer, but still no luck. It was working correctly in Windows, and I would like to try and get it working as the reason I bought the card was for the digital output.

So, a couple of questions: does digital ouput work in Linux for this soundcard? If so, what can I do to try and get it working? Is is just an incorrect setting somewhere?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Digital output from Xonar D2 card

Post by seeley »

Hi Thranduil!
You have Julia with desktop Gnome, so try to run in a Terminal:

Code: Select all

gnome-alsamixer
If you get a message "...is not installed...", install it.
The command shown demands root privileges, so you must type your password, where characters are not shown!
seeley
Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

Thanks.

I have run gnome-alsamixer and unmuted Digital, however, I still get no sound. Screenshot show gnome-alsamixer

I am wondering if I need to change some kind of setting. If I go to PulseAudio Volume Control -> Configuration there are many options (like Analogue Stereo, Digital Stereo Duplex etc.) and I don't know if one of them needs to be selected?

Thanks for your help, I want to stick with Linux but this is giving me second thoughts.
Screenshot.png
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
I helped many people, sometimes it took hours trying all options.
Not each hardware and sound card is supported by Linux.
Maybe you find a hint on an Ubuntu forum (Mint depends on Ubuntu).
seeley

Return to “Hardware Support”