ATi CCC

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrTeeth

ATi CCC

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi,

I cannot get the ATi CCC to load. I have searched the forum and tried some of the fixes mentioned. All I get is an error box mentioning an 'initialization failure'. Tried running from the command line as su, tweaked the shortcut commands but nothing has made a difference.

Has anybody else had any luck? The ATi drivers have been installed. My card is an HD 4870.

DrT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pythagorean

Re: ATi CCC

Post by pythagorean »

I use the catalyst control center with my ATI cards and I have never had any problem. There isn't enough information in your post to really say anything concrete. What operating system are you using? What kernel? Is the driver actually working after you installed it? The driver is not the same thing as CCC and you can have one without the other.

You would probably do well to start here:

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2010/04/28/at ... 0%99s-new/

and maybe post your problems to the AMD forums.

Incidentally, there isn't much you are going to get with those drivers that you aren't already getting with the open source drivers.
linXea

Post by linXea »

I guess you activated fglrx (proprietary driver from systemsettings and didn't download them from ATI/AMD homepage). First a few questions;
  • Which version of Linuxmint do you use?
    Do you have multiple graphic cards, eg switchable graphics or built-in on the motherboard graphics?
Please post your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" which hopefully will contain additional information for us to work with. Trying to install a newer version of fglrx from ATI/AMD homepage might be worth a try, I'll add the basics of doing that as well.

Download latest driver 32/64bit (which fit your system and gfx card) from AMD/ATI homepage.

Login to tty; ctrl + alt + F$ (not F7 since that one usually run X)
  • $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    $ sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf* (if amd ccc even created one before, may not be necessary)
    $ cd /to/path/where/you/downloaded/it/to (eg. cd /home/DrTeeth/Downloads/)
    $ sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -z
    $ sudo reboot
Then run the given ATI-command listed at install of driver, can't remember them off the top of my head.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

I would first like to say that I have not any problems with the main MInt versions 9 or 10 with the same PC. Currently under LMDE, latest kernel updated via update manager, package reported as 2.6.32.5.amd64, version number reported as 2.6.32.24 (same as regular Mint).

@ linXea

What do you mean by 'activating' the driver? I just installed it from update manager as I always do.

@ pythagorean
<< I use the catalyst control centre with my ATI cards and I have never had any problem.>>
neither do I on the normal Mint versions, it is just on LMDE that the problem arises.

Thanks both for your inputs, but as Linux Mint 10 (Gnome) works perfectly on the same PC, I cannot be bothered to tinker with LMDE. On my laptop, Mint recognises both my wireless adaptors, but LMDE does not recognise either.

Happy New Year to all, and may your God go with you.

DrT
linXea

Post by linXea »

Ah, using LMDE, that figures. There are significant differences between using LM10 and LMDE when it comes to installing/using FGLRX driver. If you're happy with LM10 and do not care for the extra work, it might be for the best.

Return to “Hardware Support”