Trackball Mouse

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Trackball Mouse

Post by vrkalak »

"it's time for Rollerball."

I've been looking to buy one, but I don't find them in any of the familiar places.
Not in the computer stores or Best-Buy or Wal-Mart.
Seem, to only be, available on-line? I guess, I'll have to "order" one.
Office Deport had one 'in-stock'

Well, I bought a TrackMan Marble (rollerball mouse) by Logitech.

Bought this model > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8 ... se-Silver/
Large trackball reduces hand and wrist motion
Easy-to-use trackball makes navigating easy and comfortable. Whether you're concerned about comfort, limited space or both, this corded trackball is a convenient, stationary alternative to a standard mouse.
Optical technology delivers smooth, precise tracking.
Sleek, stylish and designed for either hand.
Connects well and everything worked 'outta da box' Although, they recommended installing the Logitech drivers via Windows. (I don't have any Windows)

All 4 buttons work, and the "big red marble" rolls smoothly.
As for speed and precision of the cursor ... very fast and more precise than anything I've ever used.

Not having a 'Scroll-wheel' is a little 'unnerving' though.

We (humans) are creatures of habit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Trackball Mouse

Post by bobcollard »

Not sure why, but, on my machine the scroll buttons work as Forward and back on the Browser. Never did that on My Apple before. Yeah, had one for years, great for games which I don't play anymore. You know these things are cheaper than an Apple mouse with one button? Never thought to mention it before, use wireless mouse too. Got mine at Office Max.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I purchased the same thing a few month's ago but to get the extra two buttons to work I followed this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Logit ... emouse_USB

Took a bit of getting used to at first after using a regular mouse for so long but it works perfectly and is
much more comfortable to use.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Beerislife wrote:I purchased the same thing a few month's ago but to get the extra two buttons to work I followed this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Logit ... emouse_USB

Took a bit of getting used to at first after using a regular mouse for so long but it works perfectly and is
much more comfortable to use.
You forgot to mention what version you are using. The latest version there is 10.04 which is LM 9, not LMDE I know I just tried it.

Edited 8:40PM CST: According to Logitech the small buttons are supposed to scroll left and right. Guess I don't need to change a thing.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Using Kubuntu 10.10

<sarcasm>
Still waiting for Mint 10 KDE but I fear Kubuntu 11.04 will be released first! :roll:
</sarcasm>

I did the modifications to xorg.conf as a matter of course, didn't think to try it without them first. Can't
be bothered to REM them out and reboot to check if they work.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Beerislife wrote: Can't
If you reboot and it freezes, use a live disk to boot and remove xorg.conf. Could log out and in instead of booting to try it, though I doubt it will work. Why recommend something you have not tried?
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

bobcollard wrote:
Beerislife wrote: Can't
If you reboot and it freezes, use a live disk to boot and remove xorg.conf. Could log out and in instead of booting to try it, though I doubt it will work. Why recommend something you have not tried?
Sorry, I don't quite understand. What am I supposed to be recommending? I think you're reading more into my post than I wrote. I know for
a fact that the modifications I posted a link to work for me. I don't know if if by removing them the extra two buttons will work for me. As I said, I can't be *rsed to try it since it works as it is. I didn't mention anything about my OS freezing, I was talking about the two extra buttons working... or not, as the case may be.

The OP said says the trackball buttons worked out of the box for him. They didn't in Linux Mint 9 for me hence the need for me to edit xorg.conf and add the modifications linked to. I did the same thing in Kubuntu 10.10 without checking if they were needed with the newer release.

Does that clarify things abit more or are you the argumentative type who likes to pick apart everything to their own agenda. If so, I don't have
time to play silly games, I'm too busy with PSD.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Sorry, no argument. Glad it works for you.
IOStorm

Post by IOStorm »

vrkalak wrote:Connects well and everything worked 'outta da box' Although, they recommended installing the Logitech drivers via Windows. (I don't have any Windows)

I have an older Logitech Trackman Marble. The optical variety (red ball) with three buttons. Were you able to get a middle button doubleclick to work? That is something I miss dearly.
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

IOStorm wrote:
vrkalak wrote:Connects well and everything worked 'outta da box' Although, they recommended installing the Logitech drivers via Windows. (I don't have any Windows)

I have an older Logitech Trackman Marble. The optical variety (red ball) with three buttons. Were you able to get a middle button doubleclick to work? That is something I miss dearly.
Mine has four buttons and a red ball with black dots. No double click.
IOStorm

Post by IOStorm »

Beardedragon wrote:Mine has four buttons and a red ball with black dots. No double click.
The button assignments is an option in the Logitech driver for Windows. I am still used to using the middle button for a doubleclick. But then the middle button has other uses by default in Linux, so I think I will stop looking at how to set it to doubleclick. Being able to copy on select, and then paste with the middle button is really cool.

Return to “Hardware Support”