Julia doesn't recognize ext4 partition from Mint8

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seeley

Re: Julia doesn't recognize ext4 partition from Mint8

Post by seeley »

Hi!
If a device is /dev/sda or /dev/sdb depends on the booted system.
I installed LM 10 on USB with Grub into this USB; starting from USB -> device USB is sda and hd is sdb;
starting from hd -> hd device is sda.

This screenshot was made after having started from USB; you see "/" and 8 GB (hd is sdb).
Shot_sdab.png
seeley
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

oakhilltop. You also might want to confirm the disk boot order set in the bios.
I agree with seeley though, booting from a parted magic cd is a good way to see what is going on.
Then set up the target partitions you want for your new install. "julia" will set up grub for multi boot if that is what you want.

I have a number of machines with multiple disks and OS running fine with either grub or acronis as the boot manager ( set up via an XP partiton )
The issue I am seeing with julia since isadora, is the mounting policies on ntfs and ext2,ext3,ext4 volumes. ( internal and external ) Seems to be very inconsistent.

regards > lanser <
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I read through your threads.. May be I could explain a bit here..

Lets read your two drives:

he Maxtor 6L200P0, a 200 GB internal hard drive, can be connected via ATA/133. The 6L200P0 is a 40 pin drive with 8 MB of cache, a 9 ms access time, a 9 ms seek time, and a 133 MB/s data transfer rate.

DiamondMax 200GB 7.2K RPM 8MB Buffer 3.5" ATA-IDE Hard Drive

The Western Digital WD5000AAJS, a 500 GB internal hard drive, offers SATA I/O. The WD5000AAJS is a drive with an 8.9 ms access time, an 8.9 ms seek time, and a 300 MB/s data transfer rate.

So you have an IDE drive (Maxtor) mixing with an SATA drive (WD).

There are older posts about mixing PATA and SATA and getting such issue with different kernel/BIOS.
What is important is how BIOS detect your boot device order and how grub access it. In some of my old experience, I had a mixing IDE drive with SATA drive and occasionally the BIOS detect and put IDE at first order but sometime it detect SATA and give it first boot order. That caused me lots of burning hours to find out..

I am not sure what was your problem, but I have this before, mine is 'inconsistency', meaning that sometime IDE drive is detected by BIOS as first boot device, sometime SATA is first... so that gave me lots of boot issue.

Here is what I think you can help on your situation:
1. Determine if this is consistent.
If everytime you boot and each time Mint8 see the same IDE as first boot device and Mint 9 Live CD see SATA as first boot device, then you have very consistent issue...
I would guess that is NOT related to BIOS.
Most likely it is kernel.

You can confirm by using Mint 8 Live CD, boot it and see that it see IDE as first boot device.

You might want to know that some old kernel see IDE drive as /dev/hda and new kernel will see the same IDE drive as /dev/sda.
Well I have been there before.. thus learn a bit on how to deal with grub with various kernel ( I mix Distros of very old and very new so I have /dev/hda along side with /dev/sda on same drive!).

2. If it is not consistent, says after 30 times ( to be statistically significant, but lots of hours burning... if you care to spend that time)..
Then it could well be BIOS issue and must fix at BIOS upgrade, or perhaps, have to try luck on jumper setting, Master/Slave/CS etc.
Typically when mother board have both IDE and SATA, the IDE is chosen to be higher boot order than that of the SATA.

3. As long as your computer BIOS is consistently detect the same order between IDE and SATA drive, then you can safely multi boot them and have consistent booting to the same grub because BIOS will always pass control to the MBR of the first boot device.

One other comment I have,,, you have a 200G Maxtor IDE and 500G WD SATA, as each of the Linux distros can operate very well within 10G partition, you technically can have many distros multi booting in a single drive. Even my 80G drives have 6 distros.

If you are determined to play with Mint9 , Mint10 or even LMDE, then multi boot will allow you to run them in the same computer so you can take your time to see differences and decide for yourself which one you want to keep and which one you want to delete, or just let it sit and occupy 10G partition.

Linux is full of fun and choice...
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

Yes, I do think it is the mixing of the 2 types of interfaces. If I remember right, I had the IDE drive hanging around and decided to put it in the box and use it as a drive to back up to. I'm not sure if it is the kernel or gparted. I can't get on that system right now, but I think Mint 8 used a drive utilities package instead of gparted. I could be wrong though.

The system has been dual booting for over a year without issues. The re-install of XP had no issues either. It knew which drive is sda. So, I don't think it is the BIOS. A cheap way out of this would be to buy another SATA drive for under $50 as my backup drive. I'll probably leave it as is with Mint8 for now and try future liveCDs. I'm guessing in a year or two we won't be using it much, and now it has gone back to usually being booted to XP. For awhile my wife and son were always going to linux, but they seem to have drifted back to XP. I don't understand why they use XP, but they do. :-(

Return to “Hardware Support”