[solved] USB headset/handset not detected

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

On Mint 10 (ubuntu), my USB headset/handset is not detected. This device has worked on every O/S, including every Linux distro I've ever seen in the several years I've had it--until Mint 10.
I see others have reported this trouble too, but does anyone have a solution? ...besides ditching Mint 10 (which I see at least one other user finally did).

Thanks,
Lance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: USB headset/handset not detected

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Unplug the set, run

Code: Select all

dmesg
compare the last rows of the output with the output when it's plugged in. If it is recognized, you should see a difference.
seeley
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

[45718.992024] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[45719.155461] input: C-Media USB Headphone Set as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.3/input/input4
[45719.155742] generic-usb 0003:0D8C:000C.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media USB Headphone Set ] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input3
[45719.377004] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

OK, apparently Linux knows it's there, but it's not usable. I've used this handset for years with Skype on Debian based distro's, so I don't know what the problem is. Traditionally, when plugged-in, I can select the "C-Media USB Headphone" from a drop-down of audio devices in the Skype configuration, but with Mint 10, C-Media USB Headphone is not available to select.

It doesn't seem to be a skype issue either, as the gnome sound preferences does not offer the USB device, nor does the sound recorder.
To make certain the handset wasn't broken I borrowed a win-box, installed skype, & it worked perfectly.

Any Suggestions?
CyberJay

Post by CyberJay »

LanceHaverkamp wrote:OK, apparently Linux knows it's there, but it's not usable.
When you upgraded to Mint 10 was it also an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit? If so, that may explain the problem. I upgraded to 64-bit and as a result, lost ability to run USB dialup modem, and HDMI connection for extended display.
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

CyberJay wrote:
LanceHaverkamp wrote:OK, apparently Linux knows it's there, but it's not usable.
When you upgraded to Mint 10 was it also an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit? If so, that may explain the problem. I upgraded to 64-bit and as a result, lost ability to run USB dialup modem, and HDMI connection for extended display.
Clean 32-bit install.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Maybe you will find a hint in my help/ Sound - aside from suggestions I have added solved threads.
seeley
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

seeley wrote:Hi!
Maybe you will find a hint in my help/ Sound - aside from suggestions I have added solved threads.
seeley
I'm guessing that you intended to include a link, 'cause I have no idea what/where you're talking about.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
My signature includes several links, one of them is "Quickly get help".
seeley
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

Sadly it's another case of "WTFM." Here are some instructions for kubuntu, but there's sufficient info for a gnome user to fix the problem:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3115312.0

Return to “Hardware Support”