multiple symptoms; motherboard or bios issue?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

multiple symptoms; motherboard or bios issue?

Post by phredbull »

Hi, I just bought a used HP Compaq nx9110 laptop. I've installed Isadora XFCE along side WinXP, and both are booting fine. A few problems in Mint though:
-the Alps trackpad sensitivity is very low, and movement is jittery. I installed gsynaptics-pointing-devices, but no change.
-though it seems that ALSA is seeing my sound card and loading the drivers, whenever I try to play audio, it will play a tiny bit, then the program will stop responding. I've tried cd's, Youtube vids, (the video will play, but no audio), and streaming flash players. This problem doesn't occur in WinXP.
-My external usb drive with Isadora Fluxbox won't boot from bios. (It will boot, fully functional, from my other laptop, a Compaq Evo N610.) I can mount the partitions from my XFCE install, and after doing a "update-grub", I can sometimes boot from the internal hd's grub, but the login screen has graphical glitches, and audio is similarly non-functional. Both installs use the same 2.6.37 kernel and xorg-edgers PPA.

I have "noapic" in my boot configurations, to avoid the whole system freezing up, but was wondering if I need to modify this command to improve sound and trackpad handling.

According to my research, my sound card, (ATI IXP), should be well-supported in Linux. XFCE w/Compiz works fine. I've updated the Phoenix bios to version f.45. The power supply the computer came with is a replacement; 18.5v, 6.5a, but the specs on the HP website said max operating voltage is 10a. Not sure if this is a problem; I couldn't find the specs for the original power supply.

Does this sound like a bios or motherboard compatibility issue, or a power issue, or something else? If I can't sort it out, I think I'll have to wipe Linux from this machine and sell it. Please help?
:(

edit: I just booted Crunchbang Statler on a USB stick, and I was able to play cd's and audio in Youtube works. (Flash audio still didn't work and the trackpad is still jittery, and the system becomes unresponsive for a few seconds every minute or so. I didn't add "noapic" to this particular install.) Why is it working in #! but not Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Apple iMac, Core2Duo 2.0gHz, 3gb, ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 7688mb, ATI Radeon m7500
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: multiple symptoms; motherboard or bios issue?

Post by AlbertP »

If you can't boot from USB this is certainly a BIOS or motherboard issue. Are you sure you set up USB first in the boot sequence? Some BIOSes (WinFast for example) forget the boot from USB after booting from harddisk once and you again have to set the boot from USB option in BIOS. Some other BIOSes, mainly older ones, can't even boot from USB. Memory says that Phoenix is an old BIOS (correct me if I'm wrong) so it might not support it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

I did check the boot order first, and it is capable of booting from usb, since I installed the OS w/a live usb.
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

bump
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick