Nvidia TNT2 Install Problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clavin12

Nvidia TNT2 Install Problems

Post by Clavin12 »

Hi,

I recently downloaded the Nvidia Driver for my TNT2 64 card, and upon trying to open using the command specified on the Nvidia website (sh 'file name') and it does not run as the nvidia site said it would. I unpakced it without running the installer, then tried to run the installer from the created directory and it does nothing. I dug into the directory and used the make file and it returned and error. When I try to use the Additional Hardware tool, the card does not work, and all I get is a simple text loading screen and a terminal. After I used the "make install" command when in the proper sub directory I got a graphical loading screen on boot but still a terminal. How can I copy text from a pure terminal, with no X, that I might post my errors?

Thanks,

Clavin12
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Nvidia TNT2 Install Problems

Post by richyrich »

When you first start up, hold down the Shift key until you get to the Grub2 screen, then you can keyboard arrow down to Recovery Mode - hit Enter . . login at the text screen, change (cd) to the directory that the original nvidia-xxx-xxx.run file is located. Then start the install with : sudo sh nvxxxx.run (be sure to get the file name right, it's case sensitive) - Enter, enter your superuser password when it asks - Enter, then follow the nvidia prompts . . reboot.

good luck. :)
Clavin12

Post by Clavin12 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unable to load the kernel module "nvidia.ko"
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

check to make sure you have build-essentials installed (check in Synaptic), and make sure the nvidia run file you downloaded is the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14.pkg1.run. (x86 or the x86_64)

Nvidia legacy drivers : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Clavin12

Post by Clavin12 »

I do have build-essential. I ran the installer again and it gave me a message saying that a distribution-provided pre-installation script failed, and it asked me if I wanted to continue. This happened last time but I ignored it.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

saying that a distribution-provided pre-installation script failed,
doesn't give enough information to help . . did it tell or ask you about creating/viewing a log file? was there more info in the error message itself?
Clavin12

Post by Clavin12 »

There was no more in the error message itself. I could continue however, but to the same result as last time. I will find the log file.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

:idea: lets check out what drivers you are using at present? post back the output from the terminal command : inxi -G
Clavin12

Post by Clavin12 »

How might I get the exact text from that terminal to this forum, If I do not have the luxury of a mouse?
Clavin12

Post by Clavin12 »

Ok, I put in a much newer ATI card I found and got it to work, so this thread is no longer needed. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Hardware Support”