Resolution is very low when installing suitable driver

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert_c

Resolution is very low when installing suitable driver

Post by robert_c »

Hi all,

I just downloaded and installed Linux Mint 10 KDE. I must say that I find that KDE versions of Mint are simply great.

I want to explain a problem that I have with this version (KDE 10) but also with others (Mint GNOME 10, Mint 9 kde/gnome).

Once installed and rebooted system, it detects that installed driver is not the most suitable for my ATI board, so Mint offers to download and install correct driver. One the driver is installed and system rebooted, the screen resolution is very low (if my memory doesn' fail, 640x380).

So, the result is that objects are very big in screen and desktop is not fiting within the screen, so I've been unable to change resolution.

For as far as I know, Linux configures everything in text files, so I want to try to change the configuration through a commnd shell and VI.

I'd be pleased to know what file must I change (and what value introduce) in order to change the resoultion.

Best regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Resolution is very low when installing suitable driver

Post by dawgdoc »

A couple of points. Prior to getting the resolution corrected, to move windows around to get to Menus and buttons which you need, you should be able to hold down the <Alt> key and left mouse button and drag the window around, even to the point of having part of it out of the screen.

Since you have installed ATI's proprietary graphics drivers you should actually have an entry in the menu to change your settings. There in fact should be two menu entries, I do not recall if they would be under the Administration or Preferences portion. They will be entitled something like Catalyst Control Center Manager. The second entry is to make changes as Administratior/Root. If you do not use this option, the resolution will reset each time you boot.

Return to “Hardware Support”