Need help with HP printer. hp psc 1317

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
holesovice

Need help with HP printer. hp psc 1317

Post by holesovice »

I have recently reinstalled Mint. It was a clean installation but...
since then the printer has not worked.

I have tried just about all the options in the forums. hphl or whatever, cups. etc.
The printer cannot print open office or pdf files only txt.

The biggest issues is that the printer prints a test page every time I switch it on. I now have more than 10 test pages printed (and no color ink left, due to the constant printing of test pages).

I only want to print B+W pages so right now I can live with color ink but cannot live without a printer.

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Need help with HP printer. hp psc 1317

Post by viking777 »

If you have hplip and hplip-gui installed then hit
Alt/F2
type
hp-toolbox

and see if you can sort it out from there. There are plenty of options in there but I am not sure which ones you might need as I don't have the problem so it is difficult to guess.
holesovice

Re:[solved] Need help with HP printer. hp psc 1317

Post by holesovice »

HP is POOP

I had a low colour printer cartridge.
So. Every time I switched on the printer, the printer ran a test page print.

That made sure that the printer cartridge was empty.

And when you run a HP psc 1317 with an empty ink cartridge, it prints a test page.

I lost 20% of the black ink cartridge before I got time to go buy a colour cartridge. Which stopped the problem. After running a test page.

I shall make sure I never purchase a HP product again. Hopefully for the rest of my days.

Return to “Hardware Support”