SMART error messages with SSD hard drives

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dude
Level 1
Level 1

SMART error messages with SSD hard drives

Post by Dude »

Does anybody else get SMART errors using SSD drives with the Sandforce controller? It happens when I use the OCZ Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SSD drives with the Sandforce controller. Linux Mint Debian reports these error messages. The Gnome standard version of Linux Mint does not. Just about every other version of Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian etc gets these SMART errors. The error messages say the drive is operating outside of it's designed parameters and they say the drive is failing. So does the standard Gnome version of Linux Mint somehow magically fix this problem, or is it just masking the problem?

I have some older OCZ Onyx and Agility drives that use the Indilix controller instead. These drives work just fine and do not report SMART errors. I also have an Intel SSD with an Intel controller and it doesn't report SMART errors either. It sure seems like the SSD drives with Sandforce controllers are incompatible with Linux.

I put Windows 7 on the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and it works just fine. No error messages at all. OCZ support says these error messages are false and can just be ignored. It doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I get error messages saying my drive is failing. I tried firmware updates, but that didn't help. So what's the deal? Are Sandforce SSD controllers just incompatible with Linux?

I've been running Linux Mint 9 Gnome on my system with the OCZ Agility 2 SSD for months. It seems to work just fine. When I tried to install Linux Mint Debian, the SMART error messages came back. Then I tried Linux Mint 10 Gnome, and the SMART errors went away again. For now, I plan to stick with Linux Mint 10 Gnome until I figure out what's going on. Weird huh?

Please post your comments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SMART error messages with SSD hard drives

Post by Dude »

Hey, I answered my own question. My SSD drive had version 1.1 firmware. I updated the firmware to 1.28 and the SMART error messages went away. The drive works great now with Mint Debian and no more SMART errors. The only problem was the OCZ firmware had to be installed when you are booted from a separate hard drive with Windows 7 or Vista. Installing a temporary copy of Windows 7 on a separate drive was a pain, but it was worth it.

Return to “Hardware Support”