Macbook Pro 13" with Mint Possible?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smudge
Level 1
Level 1

Macbook Pro 13" with Mint Possible?

Post by smudge »

In a nutshell, does Linux mint work successfully on the current Macbook Pro or are there teething issues? Currently using mint in a VM but prfer to dual boot if supported properly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Been a hard core Linux and FOSS user since mid '90s. Enjoy pen-testing, OSINT and user privacy. Mint, CentOS, Arch, Kali, and Parrot distros. Started with Mandrake and Suse before Redhat then Fedora. Must post more..
Fandangio

Re: Macbook Pro 13" with Mint Possible?

Post by Fandangio »

smudge wrote:In a nutshell, does Linux mint work successfully on the current Macbook Pro or are there teething issues? Currently using mint in a VM but prfer to dual boot if supported properly?
I just posted on this on another thread. I used Mint 10 to recover data from a Mac Book Pro (6 months old) with a failed HDD. Whilst I didn't test all the features everything seemed to work fine. I'd suggest downloading and running from a the live CD. If there's no problems go ahead and install.
nevius

Re: Macbook Pro 13" with Mint Possible?

Post by nevius »

smudge wrote:In a nutshell, does Linux mint work successfully on the current Macbook Pro or are there teething issues? Currently using mint in a VM but prfer to dual boot if supported properly?
You can check out the MacBookPro compatibility here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
There is an ubuntu Mactel Support PPA that you can add here: https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa
This allows you to enable features that don't work out of the box.

I installed LMDE on a Macbook 4.1 with almost no issues. I had to install the proper wireless drivers, and do a few tweaks. I found the touchpad irritating until I configured it and so I recommend using an external mouse during the install.

Do your homework before attempting to dualboot. I did approximately the following:

1) used Disk Utility in OSX to repartition my hard drive.
2) Installed rEFIt.
3) Booted from the LMDE live cd.
4) Installed with a basic partitioning scheme (SDA3 mounted as / and a swap partition --- don't make things more complex than they need to be)
----BE SURE TO INSTALL GRUB ONTO SDA3 (your main partition) AND NOT TO THE MBR OF THE HD---
5) Use the rEFIt tool to fix your partition tables after the install.

Note: There may be a certain amount of booting and rebooting involved in this process (ie after installing rEFIt and Linux Mint)

Enjoy!

Return to “Hardware Support”