Mint 10: Laggy graphics on web pages

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tom_Accuosti

Mint 10: Laggy graphics on web pages

Post by Tom_Accuosti »

I originally posted this in the Newbie forum.

I just set up an older PC from work with Mint 10. The specs are:
AMD Athlon 3200
2gb ram
120 g SATA (SCSI) drive
MB: Biostar M7VIG 400
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 2 64mb (AGP, not PCI)
From the System Information app:
nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I just got this up and running in the last few days; instead of a dual boot with XP, I partitioned the drive with 25g as /root, 220 g as /home, and 4g as /swap (Thanks to some great info I found in one of the other areas on this board).

I've noticed that web pages with a lot of graphics - news sites, Tumblr blogs, etc., the scrolling is very slow. Mouse wheel scrolling is not smooth, and the Page Up/Down keys are actually worse. The images will sit on the screen, then jump down, lag a bit, then jump some more.

I have tried removing the video card and running on the on-board video, but that seems to be broken (which would explain why somebody put a video card in the machine).

I've got Mint 10 running on an old Dell laptop, and it's a speed demon compared to this machine. Is there something else I should be looking at? A setting, or another driver, perhaps?

As far as I can tell, text-only web pages are fine, as are web forums. The graphics are slow in Firefox, Seamonkey,and Chrome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 10: Laggy graphics on web pages

Post by nunol »

Compared with the rest of the computer you have a slow graphic card (especially because of the PCI bus). What drivers are you using?

Return to “Hardware Support”