[solved] memory upgrade.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ds2992

[solved] memory upgrade.

Post by ds2992 »

so i upgraded my memory in my dell inspiron e1505. I booted up and saw, before the grub memu, that the computer recognized a memory change. i booted into bios to check how much memory was being read and it saw the 2 gigs i installed. What it also said in the bios is that the OS is set to read less than the available memory and that it will use less than available.
What my question is, is this a setting that needs to be configured from the linux OS? do i need to do a kernel update of some kind? or is this a trick of dell bios i have to figure out? By the way i cant find any way to change memory settings in the bios.
I am currently doing a memory check from the grub boot menu. Im at 50% and 40 minutes into it.
Is this memory check a function of linux or is it a boot option standard for the motherboard?
If i have confused you i apologize. otherwise any info is welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: memory upgrade.

Post by JasonLG »

ds2992 wrote:so i upgraded my memory in my dell inspiron e1505. I booted up and saw, before the grub memu, that the computer recognized a memory change. i booted into bios to check how much memory was being read and it saw the 2 gigs i installed. What it also said in the bios is that the OS is set to read less than the available memory and that it will use less than available.
What my question is, is this a setting that needs to be configured from the linux OS? do i need to do a kernel update of some kind? or is this a trick of dell bios i have to figure out? By the way i cant find any way to change memory settings in the bios.
I am currently doing a memory check from the grub boot menu. Im at 50% and 40 minutes into it.
Is this memory check a function of linux or is it a boot option standard for the motherboard?
If i have confused you i apologize. otherwise any info is welcome.
How much memory is Mint seeing?

What the bios means is that...
1. A 32 bit OS will not see much more then 3.5GB unless in the case of Linux you install the PAE kernel. Which shouldn't matter to you since you're only dealing with 2GB.

2. Your integrated graphics chipset will take a little bit of your RAM.

As far as Memtest I don't really know enough about it to offer anything useful.
ds2992

Re: memory upgrade.

Post by ds2992 »

thank you for the reply. mint is showing 2 gig. the memtest i used is memtest86. i suppose i jumped the gun on this post as things are running fine.

Return to “Hardware Support”