Headphones wont functions Mint 10 Julia

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolter40k

Headphones wont functions Mint 10 Julia

Post by bolter40k »

I am running linux mint 10 64 bit amd on a gateway nv52. When I plug headphones into the jack, audio output does not switch. I feel like I'm missing a simple setting somewhere. Sound works normally otherwise. If anyone can offer me assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bolter40k
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Headphones wont functions Mint 10 Julia

Post by tdockery97 »

Hi bolter40k. Try opening the Terminal. Type:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Make sure none of the indicators are muted, particularly for headphones.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
bolter40k

Post by bolter40k »

All of my levels were unmuted in alsa when i opened it in terminal
bolter40k

Post by bolter40k »

for some reason if my headphones are plugged in while my laptop is booting they work but my problem still exists otherwise.
Foxen

Post by Foxen »

First off, find out which codec is used, I suspect that the module loaded is snd_hda_intel, to find out which codec it uses start alsamixer and it will display the used codec in the upper left corner(it says "chip")

william@Ra ~ $ alsamixer
If the used card is "HDA Intel" you will need to open the alsa-base.conf file

william@Ra ~ $ sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 
Then at the very bottom of this file you add the following line(replace "fujitsu" with an appropriate model for your chipset/codec found in the HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz file, command to view it shown below), save with ctrl+x and reboot, this process most likely is trial and error, trying out different models until you find one that works for you.

options snd-hda-intel model=fujitsu
Models for the chipsets/codec used can be found by typing this in a terminal:

william@Ra ~ $ zcat /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz | more
Do please share your success if any, detailing what steps you took to solve the problem and add [SOLVED] to the topic :)
If this doesn't solve the problem, continue your quest and keep asking, provide any information you can.
bolter40k

Post by bolter40k »

the used card is hda ati sb not intel. Do i still have to open the config file?
Foxen

Post by Foxen »

bolter40k wrote:the used card is hda ati sb not intel. Do i still have to open the config file?
Type the following in terminal and post the output here, they will list which codec is used, at the bottom of this post I'll include the output of "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec" on my system

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
and

lsmod | grep hda
If the last one of these list a module called "snd_hda_intel" then my advice in the earlier post still holds valid...

My codecs, modem listed first and soundcard last:

william@Ra ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: Motorola Si3054
Codec: Realtek ALC880
bolter40k

Post by bolter40k »

here is the output of the commmands ran in terminal,

dylan@dylan-NV52-Series ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)
Codec: Conexant ID 2c06
dylan@dylan-NV52-Series ~ $ lsmod | grep hda
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     3079  1 
snd_hda_codec_conexant    37356  1 
snd_hda_intel          26019  4 
snd_hda_codec         100919  3 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               6660  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                89104  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd                    64117  16 snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
snd_page_alloc          8588  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
dylan@dylan-NV52-Series ~ $ 
Foxen

Post by Foxen »

I see the snd_hda_intel module loaded there but the conexant codec can't be found in the HD-Audio-Models file which for the moment leaves me stumped...
I googled "alsa conexant cx20561" and found lots of stories similar to yours, but this page might be of interest to you though: http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/

[EDIT]
A closer look at the above link suggests that it's probably meant for those that have conexant chipset based modems...
Still, go through the HD-Audio-Models file and try with different models and see if jack-sense will work, tedious trial and error but it might work...

Return to “Hardware Support”