Hardware upgrade for advice for video editing

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ollie

Hardware upgrade for advice for video editing

Post by Ollie »

Hi,

My old Athlon socket 939 cpu is no longer up to the task of editing HD video and is getting really slow at transcoding it (with Openshot)

I have decided to perform and upgrade of the main internal components and was looking for some advice:
CPU: Currently I am looking at the Intel i7 2600K (which if the AMD bulldozer doesn't appear soon with good benchmarks)
Motherboard: H67 or P67 or wait for Z68? I have no intentions of over-clocking unless there is a very real performance boost. Are there any particularly "Linux friendly" manufacturers?
Graphics card: The age old AMD (ATI) vs Nvidia debate doesn't seem to have abated much. I am not a big gamer so he important thing to me is ease of installation, performance with video work and price. Are there any recommendations here?
Memory: I'll be going for 6 - 8GB of price/quality RAM unless there is a good argument for otherwise
SSD harddrive: I hope to be able to afford a SSD drive for installing Mint 11 64bit (when released) on.

Googling around didn't exactly clear the waters.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Hardware upgrade for advice for video editing

Post by nunol »

I don't edit HD video but you can check a hardware thread here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=66396

For the Graphics card I chose NVIDIA for better support but I don't know about the future support.
As for RAM I would go for at least 8GB and a 64-bit Linux on a SSD (or two in RAID-0).

Return to “Hardware Support”