[Solved...kinda]ALSA sound REFUSING to go through USB hea...

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Candlehawk

[Solved...kinda]ALSA sound REFUSING to go through USB hea...

Post by Candlehawk »

The sound is going through the computer speakers but not the headset, I have unmuted the headset, have followed all instructions in the ALSA installation/configuration/troubleshoot guide (http://alsa.opensrc.org/TroubleShooting) I have tried to set the USB device (which it does recognize as a sound card) as the default sound card and have even tried to fool with jackd to make ALSA think that the USB is a normal headphone jack. All this has effectively done nothing. Can anyone please help me?
EDIT: I forgot to say that when I go under C-Media USB Headphone set in the Volume Control and unmute the microphone, I can hear my own mic through the headphones, but even so, with the headphone option unmuted I can not hear sound, so it must on some level be recognizing the headset.
EDIT 2:Also, I did do the

Code: Select all

alsamixer
n the terminal, and unmuted everything.
EDIT 3: Since Jason decieded to be an asshat, I'm gonna go with some other distro since he seems to be the only one on. I love mint, but if this is how the forums treats the newbies i.e. raking me over the coals over a simple mistake, I would rather switch to a distro I know better, rather than one I like better. I admit that pointing out that I said ALSA in the title may have come off as a tad dickish, but I meant no harm by it, apologize if I did seem like a jerk with that statement, yet certainly did not make me deserve to be talked down to, and then refused the only help I got in two days. So, solved...kinda.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: ALSA sound REFUSING to go through USB headset

Post by JasonLG »

Candlehawk wrote:The sound is going through the computer speakers but not the headset, I have unmuted the headset, have followed all instructions in the ALSA installation/configuration/troubleshoot guide (http://alsa.opensrc.org/TroubleShooting) I have tried to set the USB device (which it does recognize as a sound card) as the default sound card and have even tried to fool with jackd to make ALSA think that the USB is a normal headphone jack. All this has effectively done nothing. Can anyone please help me?
That guide is crazy old. Do this...
1. Plug in your device.

2. Enter this into a terminal.

Code: Select all

alsamixer
3. press F6 and select the headset.

4. Make sure that none of the outputs are muted and that they are turned all the way up. If a fader is muted it will have MM at the bottom of it. To toggle between muted and unmuted press m to turn the faders up and down use the arrow keys.
Candlehawk

Post by Candlehawk »

Did that already, and just did it again now. The only thing I have muted is the "mic" because when it is unmuted, all sound of the mic goes through the headset's speakers.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Candlehawk wrote:Did that already, and just did it again now. The only thing I have muted is the "mic" because when it is unmuted, all sound of the mic goes through the headset's speakers.
Right on. Making sure that stuff isn't muted is the 1st thing I tell people when they can't get sound out of a device that is recognized. You did by chance disable the other sound device(s) right? Although you can use more then one sound device at a time if you set up a virtual device that includes them both. Unless you do so if you enable more then one working devices you get nothing.
Candlehawk

Post by Candlehawk »

JasonLG wrote: Right on. Making sure that stuff isn't muted is the 1st thing I tell people when they can't get sound out of a device that is recognized. You did by chance disable the other sound device(s) right? Although you can use more then one sound device at a time if you set up a virtual device that includes them both. Unless you do so if you enable more then one working devices you get nothing.
Um...I believe I did that. Can you run by me how to do that so I can double-check my steps to see if I forgot to do that?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Candlehawk wrote:
JasonLG wrote: Right on. Making sure that stuff isn't muted is the 1st thing I tell people when they can't get sound out of a device that is recognized. You did by chance disable the other sound device(s) right? Although you can use more then one sound device at a time if you set up a virtual device that includes them both. Unless you do so if you enable more then one working devices you get nothing.
Um...I believe I did that. Can you run by me how to do that so I can double-check my steps to see if I forgot to do that?

Click on the sound applet and click on sound preferences. In the hardware tab select the device you are not using and in the Profile drop down select Off. Now select the device you are using(your headset) and try different profiles and see if you have any luck
Candlehawk

Post by Candlehawk »

JasonLG wrote: Click on the sound applet and click on sound preferences. In the hardware tab select the device you are not using and in the Profile drop down select Off. Now select the device you are using(your headset) and try different profiles and see if you have any luck
That sounds like the applet for pulseaudio, not for ALSA. ALSA has no "hardware" tab, but has a dropdown for each device, and tabs for sections such as "Playback" "Recording" "Switches" etc. and has different sliders under each tab, such as "Master" "Headphone" "PCM" "Front" etc.. Now, I have every option under this unmuted with the exception of, under the "C-Media USB Headphone Set (Alsa mixer) device, and under the "Playback" tab the "Microphone" slider, because the input of my microphone goes through my USB Headphone speakers whenever it is unmuted. Perhaps maybe I am mistaking what you mean by applet? What I am using is the "Volume Control" applet under "add to panel". Perhaps I am using the wrong thing to control the volume?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Candlehawk wrote:
JasonLG wrote: Click on the sound applet and click on sound preferences. In the hardware tab select the device you are not using and in the Profile drop down select Off. Now select the device you are using(your headset) and try different profiles and see if you have any luck
That sounds like the applet for pulseaudio, not for ALSA. ALSA has no "hardware" tab, but has a dropdown for each device, and tabs for sections such as "Playback" "Recording" "Switches" etc. and has different sliders under each tab, such as "Master" "Headphone" "PCM" "Front" etc.. Now, I have every option under this unmuted with the exception of, under the "C-Media USB Headphone Set (Alsa mixer) device, and under the "Playback" tab the "Microphone" slider, because the input of my microphone goes through my USB Headphone speakers whenever it is unmuted. Perhaps maybe I am mistaking what you mean by applet? What I am using is the "Volume Control" applet under "add to panel". Perhaps I am using the wrong thing to control the volume?
I am talking about the PulseAudio applet. I guess since you posted in a non version specific forum and didn't say otherwise I assumed that you were using the main edition which includes PulseAudio by default.
Candlehawk

Post by Candlehawk »

JasonLG wrote:
Candlehawk wrote:
I am talking about the PulseAudio applet. I guess since you posted in a non version specific forum and didn't say otherwise I assumed that you were using the main edition which includes PulseAudio by default.
Well it does kinda say "ALSA sound" in the title but whatever. Can you help me with an ALSA issue then?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Candlehawk wrote:Well it does kinda say "ALSA sound" in the title but whatever. Can you help me with an ALSA issue then?
PulseAudio is a layer on top of ALSA. They go hand in hand in Mint Main/Ubuntu. They have ALSA and PulseAudio. It's an honest mistake to assume that you're using the main version since you didn't say otherwise and not unreasonable to look at PulseAudio when troubleshooting audio.

And by the way the forum rules do kinda say that you're suppose to identify your version among other things when asking for help but whatever. And nope, not going to help you.

Return to “Hardware Support”