Drivers for a stand alone slide scanner

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomdocherty72

Drivers for a stand alone slide scanner

Post by tomdocherty72 »

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I have a stand alone Easypix film and slide scanner that i used with Microsoft XP before switching to Linux Mint. I love Linux but am frustrated by the lack of drivers for the scanner. Can anyone send me in the right direction to find one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Drivers for a stand alone slide scanner

Post by remoulder »

If the scanner doesn't have a linux driver, you need to ask the manufacturer for one. However have you tried connecting it and seeing if the system recognizes it? When it is connected, what is the output of lsusb if it's a usb connection, otherwise look at the output of dmesg after connecting?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Briand18
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Briand18 »

I shall watch this post with interest. I have a Pacific Image Primefilm 1800 scanner, and would love to run it in Mint. But the firm offer no Linux drivers, only PC and Mac. I have tried loading the Windows Driver using Wine, but it only gets so far, then stops. No Sane or Xsane bits even recognise it is there.

Any thoughts ?
tomdocherty72

Post by tomdocherty72 »

remoulder wrote:If the scanner doesn't have a linux driver, you need to ask the manufacturer for one. However have you tried connecting it and seeing if the system recognizes it? When it is connected, what is the output of lsusb if it's a usb connection, otherwise look at the output of dmesg after connecting?
Thanks for your suggestions. Doesn't help me though - I am a 50-something technophobe talked into using Linux OS by my son! I like it by the way - except the problems i have attaching anything to it that remotely resembles something designed to run onW##**ws! Please translate = what is the output of lsusb if it's a usb connection, otherwise look at the output of dmesg after connecting and - how do I do that?

Thanks

Tom
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

If it's a scanner that you plug into the usb socket, open a terminal (mintMenu -> accessories -> terminal, or alt+ctrl+T on the desktop should also work), and type in

Code: Select all

lsusb
. The command prints out information on all the devices that you have plugged into your usb sockets, which is useful to members who would like to help. You will need to copy and paste it in this forum. For that the easiest method is just to highlight all the output with your mouse, and then point your mouse pointer in the text box on the forum and middle-click.

The advice about

dmesg
is in a similar vein; the member is suggesting that you plug in the scanner, and then after that type that command into the terminal. dmesg is a system log; specifically it keeps track of messages your kernel is sending. It might tell us about any problems with hotplugging. If posting

dmesg
output here, though, please use

dmesg | tail
-- we only want the most recent bit (the output of dmesg can be very long winded). That character in the middle is called a pipe; it might be hanging around with tilde (~) on your keyboard or it might be hanging around with \. If all else fails just copy and paste the code out of the codebox in terminal.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

In other news, lmintnewb's post probably will be better received in open chat than in the support forums. I have moved it to a newly titled thread in open chat, here.

Return to “Hardware Support”