Key on Zboard keyboard stoppped working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edtheuniquegeek

Key on Zboard keyboard stoppped working

Post by edtheuniquegeek »

Anyone ever hear of the key on a keyboard to stop working in Mint 10?
I have a USB Zboard gaming keyboard and it has been working fine up until today, the 'v' key stopped working. Since my machine is dual boot with a Windows 7 install I decided to boot into Windows to see if the Zboard had an issue in that OS but it does not. I proceeded to boot back into Mint 10 and the 'v' key was still defunct. I then swapped out the Zboard keyboard for a standard keyboard and the 'v' key works fine.
Anyone have a clue as to what could be going on? It seems like whatever keyboard driver the Zboard uses got corrupt or something. I'm not sure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Key on Zboard keyboard stoppped working

Post by rich_roast »

This seems to pop up from time to time and appears to be a problem with the mapping. See this thread -- it links to another one where somebody has kindly posted a bash script to try to fix the mapping -- if it doesn't work let us know and we might have to look at it in more details ourselves.
edtheuniquegeek

Awesome. Thanks.
Since I am visiting the family this weekend in northern Florida, the first chance I'll have to try this out will be Sunday. I'll let you know.
edtheuniquegeek

I took a look at the shell script. I'm not too savvy with these things so I want to make sure that this works for the standard US keys on a standard keyboard. Yes, I am using a Zboard gaming keyboard but when I have just the standard keyboard inserted not the gaming keyboard is when the 'v' key is not working. Of course, if I inserted the gaming pad of the keyboard, the 'v' key will probably not work then either.
Does this shell script just remap the keys to what they are supposed to be on a standard US keyboard or is this a remapping according to the gaming pad insert? It looks like the latter to me.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

To be honest, without even looking at the script from the nature of the thread it was contained on it could well be.

In generic terms you can use xmodmap to set keyboard mappings manually. I'm always puzzled by why a given key should stop working when it has been before -- weirder things have happened at sea. Mind you, I'd be looking to also test the keyboard on another box just to make sure it's not the hardware itself.
edtheuniquegeek

So, here's the interesting thing. As mentioned, this box (Dell XPS) that I have the Zboard keyboard issue on is dual booted with Windows 7. If I boot into Windows 7, the keyboard works fine, every key is identified correctly. If I plug the keyboard into my MacBook, both the 'v' and the 'c' key have issues, but different from Linux. In OS 10, the 'v' key is identified as the 'a' key and the 'c' is coming up as 's'. If I plug the keyboard into a completely different Linux Mint 10 machine, my Dell Mini 9 (which I happen to be selling, by the way: http://edswarehouse.wordpress.com/2011/ ... 0-netbook/), the 'v' key is still not recognized, same as the current Dell XPS machine issue.
Again, what is odd, is that it was working fine before on the Dell XPS machine and then it decided to stop working one day. However, it works fine under Windows 7 on this Dell XPS machine.
Before I attempt to apply this shell script I have posted a question to that original thread rich_roast provided to find out the intent from the original poster. Since I am not all the familiar with xmodmap and am still learning Linux, I want to see for sure what this script does before applying all willy-nilly like.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Good plan, and best of luck fixing this very strange behaviour.

Return to “Hardware Support”