Bluetooth broken after RT2870sta compile

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cy218

Bluetooth broken after RT2870sta compile

Post by cy218 »

First go at the forum so please excuse any blunders.

I've compiled a new rt2870sta driver from ralink to try and improve my wifi speed. I used this site for the information:
http://www.smachado.com/2010/11/how-to- ... ntu-10-10/

That got me up to 135Mb/s which is a good start but now my on board bluetooth won't work!

Here are some details:

Code: Select all

dmesg |grep Bluetooth
[   10.993684] Bluetooth: Atheros AR30xx firmware driver ver 1.0

lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 0cf3:3002 Atheros Communications, Inc. 

lsmod |grep ath
ath3k                   2691  0 

sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
 * bluetooth is not running
There is also no bluetooth applet on my panel and if I select Bluetooth from the menu I get:
Your computer does not have any Bluetooth adapters plugged in.

The Bluetooth worked ok before compilation and continues to work, using the ath3k driver, running live from usb using Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

Any more information I can give?

I've searched around but haven't found this problem elsewhere.

Thanks

Cy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Bluetooth broken after RT2870sta compile

Post by MaddogF16 »

Some ground work info please. Are the bluetooth adapter and wifi adapter both usb plug in styles, or are they onboard?
cy218

Post by cy218 »

Oops sorry.

Both adapters are onboard. However, the motherboard (Asus M4A88T-I) uses some kind of usb riser a bit like a mini pci-e slot but it's not something you can just pull out like a dongle.

I hope I haven't confused the issue.

Also I'm using Mint 10 Main 64 bit.

Thanks
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Well you need to make a decision of just how bad do you need/want the bluetooth to work? Looking at the instructions from the install, it made adjustments to the usb stack and this is probably causing the issue now. A simple way to determine if this problem exists at the user level or os level would be to create a new user and try from there to see if that improves the issue. Yet another route if that didn't help the issue would be to install a different kernel (newer) or maybe re-install the current kernel and see if that would reset some of the changes. If your happy with the wifi improvement and really don't need bluetooth and want to stick with the current kernel then do nothing. Also be aware that on a kernel update it may revert back to the old behaviour or the new kernel may improve the wifi while retaining the bluetooth.
cy218

[SOLVED] Re: Bluetooth broken after RT2870sta compile

Post by cy218 »

Thanks for that Maddog.

Whilst I was thinking about the choices suggested above I tried installing Blueman... it worked! I don't know how this relates to my original problem or what it does differently (maybe reinstalling the default bluetooth manager would have sorted it too) but I now have a working connection to my bluetooth speakers again.

Thanks

Cy

Return to “Hardware Support”