Hardware Companies that Support Linux

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Hardware Companies that Support Linux

Postby Travicane on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:10 am

Hi

How Well do Hardware Vendors Support Linux?

I thought it might be useful to start a thread to help focus on Hardware Vendors that provide drivers and other support for Linux Distros.

We all know about nVidia, and possibly ATI, but what about the rest.

Post your experience and recommendations with companies that provide Linux Driver support for hardware,

A couple of printer examples from my recent experience:

I recently bought a Brother MFC-5460CN Color Inkjet Multi-Function Center with Networking.
Works perfectly in both Windows and Ubuntu for all printing and scanning Functions.
I have not yet tried the Fax and Network functions in either OS.
Brother provides a set of Linux Drivers, and instructions, that make them very easy to install.
Grade: A+

I also have a 7 year old Epson Stylus Photo 870 Printer.
This printer currently works perfectly under both Windows Xp, and Linux (using the CUPS drivers).
Epson have made it clear, on their site, that this Printer will never be supported under Vista.
Grade B (age of Printer)

Where is John Hodgman when you need him! Why would anyone buy Vista?

Possibly this could lead to a Wiki Page summarizing the realities of hardware driver support for Linux.

Just a thought

Regards

Travicane
Travicane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hardware Companies that Support Linux

Postby 67GTA on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:54 pm

HP has been really good about Linux drivers. HP printers are some of the easiest to set up. They provide support for Linux on HP computers.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby warchief_ryan on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:30 am

Dell now has Linux support and drivers for Ubuntu, most people still don't know.
(\ /)
( . .)
c(")(")
Net Neutrality

"Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!" - Nick Burns
warchief_ryan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:30 am

The issue is most hardware manufacturers want to support new products and allow old items to fade away.
ATI for example supports 8500radeon and newer cards but you will find mixed results from 7500 and older cards.
It is about Money: New socket for every processor, pci agp pciE, heatsink design, Power supply 200 300 400 500 watts, direct X support 9, 10, 10.1, Memory.
The only thing that remains the same is the power switch and screws thank God for industry standards. No support needed for those.

Return to Hardware Support