System Slow = hardware problems?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimmy9pints

System Slow = hardware problems?

Post by jimmy9pints »

Hi,
Just come back to Linux Mint after a long time away. Would really appreciate some help from the community!!!

I've just purchased a new computer with what I thought was pretty good hardware. However, since getting Mint up and running I've noticed it to be a bit jumpy unsmooth graphics wise. This has especially been the case when running:
  • Screenlets
    Docky
    Compiz effects
    VLC player on full screen playback
If it's down to hardware problems (I am doubting that) I have a couple more days to get it back to the shop.

Here's my hardware specs:

-Computer-
Processor : 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
Memory : 4057MB (945MB used) (G.Skill 2X2G 1066)
Motherboard: ASUS M4N98TD EVO NVIDIA nForce 980a/Socket AM3

-Display-

Resolution : 1920x1200 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce GT 430/PCI/SSE2 (GIGABYTE GV-N430OC-1GL 730/1800 1024M/128 DDR3 PCI-E)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST31000525SV (Hardware RAID 1)
ATA ST31000525SV
(a little concerned that it lists two disks here, I thought that the OS would be "blind" to there being two disks since it's a hardware raid)

Concerns:

Under Mint's system information (which I love by the way) there's a few things that concern me. Firstly, under Devices >Processor, I see:
-Processors-
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor : 800.00MHz

Now, this may be a dumb question, but why is it clocked at 800MHz. I thought they were 2.8GHz cores. Or does it not work like that?

Then, under benchmarks>FPU Tracing, I get these results:
-FPU Raytracing-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big> 800 MHz 12.809
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz (null) 40.8816714
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz) (null) 161.312647

Is something weird going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimmy9pints

Re: System Slow = hardware problems?

Post by jimmy9pints »

I am back - moments later - because writing that post reminded me that there was a little "Core Unlocking" switch on the mobo.

Turned off the machine and switched that, now the benchmark gives:

-FPU Raytracing-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big> 2800 MHz 12.870
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz (null) 40.8816714
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz) (null) 161.312647

At least the CPU is running at the right speed, even though the performance still isn't that good.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Your CPU is supposed to lower the speed when not using 100% so it saves energy and lowers the working temperature, thats why it was not at full speed before. You can check more information here: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... tures.aspx

I don't know how your CPU is supposed to perform (it should be very fast) but you can check here: http://openbenchmarking.org/

You can test with: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Please do not double post. It does not substantially improve response time and it clutters the forum with extra posts. I have deleted your other post on this subject as this one has been responded to.
jimmy9pints

Post by jimmy9pints »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Please do not double post. It does not substantially improve response time and it clutters the forum with extra posts. I have deleted your other post on this subject as this one has been responded to.
Not intentional.
nunol wrote:Your CPU is supposed to lower the speed when not using 100% so it saves energy and lowers the working temperature, thats why it was not at full speed before. You can check more information here: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... tures.aspx

I don't know how your CPU is supposed to perform (it should be very fast) but you can check here: http://openbenchmarking.org/

You can test with: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
Thanks for your response. I have downloaded and started to use the Phoronix test suite.

I am really unsatisfied with the speed of the new computer!!

To give you another example, when I was transfering files from my Eeepc, with a little Atom processor, through the network to the new computer, it was the NEW COMPUTER that was struggling! The Eeepc was running fine!

Baffled and disappointed.

Any more pointers or diagnostic tools appreciated.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

When you compare your computer results with ones with the same CPU you can verify that your computer has a problem.

It could be a problem with with the installation, so check if in live mode it feels faster and take into consideration testing Mint 11 RC to see if the same happens or if it feels faster.

Also, take into consideration that one of your computer components may be faulty or not properly installed.
jimmy9pints

Post by jimmy9pints »

nunol wrote:When you compare your computer results with ones with the same CPU you can verify that your computer has a problem.

It could be a problem with with the installation, so check if in live mode it feels faster and take into consideration testing Mint 11 RC to see if the same happens or if it feels faster.

Also, take into consideration that one of your computer components may be faulty or not properly installed.
Thank you for your help!

Buying a new computer and finding it slow is really frustrating!

I will try to diagnose it.

Thanks,
Jimmy
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Have been there before...

Besides drivers problems or a bad installation most hardware problems were hot CPU's throttling back, a bad BIOS config or a bad overclock. If you use System Monitor or top you can try to pinpoint the problem, you should also check your computer temperatures.

Return to “Hardware Support”