FSCK Disk Checking...

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oblivion02
Level 1
Level 1

FSCK Disk Checking...

Post by oblivion02 »

Every once in a while, when I boot my box, it says that the root partition has been mounted 21 times, and has not been checked. That the check must be forced. It takes a long time to check the disk, then everything boots and works fine. Does this happen to everyone else? Is it necessary?

-Oblivion
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: FSCK Disk Checking...

Post by 67GTA »

It is normal. It self checks every few boots.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

A while back there was a post that told how to change the number of boots until a forced check. I can't find it though. does anyone know the answer?
Fred

Post by Fred »

The default is 30 boots. Unless there is an over riding reason to change it, I wouldn't.

But if you must.

A value of "0" for the check interval disables the checks. Something like "sudo tune2fs -c 0 /dev/sdx" should disable checks based on mount counts; then it is a matter of "sudo tune2fs -i 1m /dev/sdx" to check /dev/sdx each month.

Fred
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Thanks Fred. My default was something like 22 or 24, and since I turn on my Linux computer several times a day, it was getting annoying. Once a month is better for me.

Return to “Hardware Support”