install issue (Grub?) on Intel Mac

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

install issue (Grub?) on Intel Mac

Post by foggytown »

Attempted to install Darnya on a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. Boot into live disk OK, install would go fine. But on first (and all subsequent) boot it would stall out at "Loading grub stage2..."

Attempted the install with numerous variables with the same results. Got the same results with gpt, mixed, and MBR. Finally ran "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda "--basically destroyed the partition tables to be sure that gpt was gone. While this did not help me get Mint installed, it did allow me to install Ubuntu Gutsy.

And having spent the preceding few hours customizing an Ubuntu install, I have a new appreciation for the value added that Mint brings to the table;-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: install issue (Grub?) on Intel Mac

Post by Husse »

Intel Macs use GPT for partitioning while Windows and Linux (normally) use MBR as you know. Linux is supposed to support GPT but there are several problems.
So you have to find out how to overcome that if you want to mix Mac and Linux. Grub is among the problems....
Now waht stopped you from using Mint?
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Even after I wiped out all of the Mac gpt data--only going for a singly boot system--I still stalled at the same spot on first boot--"Grub loading stage2..." There must be some other issue? As posted, Ubuntu Gutsy worked as expected-so the problem would appear to be with Mint, not something upstream (and probably not user error).
Not complaining here...just didn't know how else to file a bug report.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I did not see a complaint.
But we are using the same installer as Ubuntu, so.....
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Sam-O wrote:I'm having the same problem on my Macbook Pro C2D. I *think* it is to do with Mint using Grub-GFX instead of regular Grub. Something about the added graphical component seems to cause Refit or Mac's problems with loading Grub.

Is there anyway to change this after installing Mint from the Live CD? Even with internet is working in the from the Live CD the chrooted terminal's apt-get does not seem to see the internet connection and thus I can't download the regular Grub.
Just remove gfxmenu /etc/grub/message.mint or # out in your /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Then it will just use normal Grub.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

.[/quote]
Just remove gfxmenu /etc/grub/message.mint or # out in your /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Then it will just use normal Grub.[/quote]

Sam-O,
Could you post back if this works for you? I just got my desktop setup using Ubuntu, but I would gladly start over with Mint if I thought I had a decent chance of making it work.

If that is the only difference between Ubuntu and Mint--then it seems like it should solve the problem...but after installing many many times with the same results, I am somewhat hesitant.

Thanks for the tip, Merlwiz.
--john
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Congrats Sam-O
I will wait for the wiki to see if it is something within my realm of doing things. I give you a lot of credit for sticking with it and figuring out a work around.

Here I tried again to install Mint on the mini--I got the same "grub loading stage2" stall. I commented out the glrx line in /boot/grub/menu.lst but it didn't change anything.

I reinstalled Ubuntu (same process but it went without a hitch--so there IS a difference between Mint and Ubuntu).

I have not mastered the command line to the extent that you have, I have a feeling that I will be waiting for the next release of Mint...I assume about May of next year?

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done.
--john
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't understand why there's a difference....
Anyway I'll alert the team
hardawayd

Post by hardawayd »

Sam-O wrote:The difference is in the version of Grub that the installer is installing. The Mint one is using a graphical Grub that does not work with Mac's firmware or Refit. Commenting out the use of the graphic does not seem to solve the problem ether so it is something in the actual /boot/grub file. I don't know enough about Grub to know which file was causing the problem so I just copied over the whole directory from my previous Gusty installation.

PS. There is also some difference in the Gnome version of Mint the Live CD compared to Gusty as the Mint version requires special parameters to be typed in prior to boot for it to work and this is not the case with Ubuntu 7.10
I had to use the alternate in Gusty to get Ubuntu installed. Maybe there is a difference between grub in the live-CD and the alternate one. Mint only has the live-CD to my knowledge. I also did not see a 64-bit Mint.
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phibxr »

I think we all can agree on that there is an issue with grub and (at least some) Intel Macs that has to be fixed before the next release. It would be nice to have an official way around this problem though, as the next release still is a while from here. :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Mint and Ubuntu use different versions of Grub. I'm glad you found a workaround. Although Mint will continue to use the gfx version of grub we will start an Enterprise Edition in Mint 5.0 which will focus on compatibility and use the normal text-mode grub.

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

They fixed this in grub-gfxboot_0.97-17 for Debian but that it doesn't work in Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
Some error on line 272 with grub-install redirecting unexpectedly.
Which sucks because thats the part they added to fix a problem.(not sure which)

grub-gfxboot (0.97-17) unstable; urgency=low
* add VCS control headers.
* update syntax for Vcs headers in debian/control
* add patch to fix A20 gate issues, especially in Intel Macs, this replaces
intelmac.dpatch.
http://lug01.eecs.wsu.edu/sidux/debian/ ... b-gfxboot/
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have not reread the thread - just skimmed through
He means copy from some installed Gutsy
I think the simplest way is to download and burn the supergrub CD (it's not even 4 MB! and has one of the crappiest home pages I've seen) From that you can install a normal grub or change gfx grub to normal
fog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fog »

Is there a solution? I use bootcamp and I want to test mint in my macbook, but after installation I have the same issue. In stage 2 stops. My version is the last Daryna image. Is it ok to test the above solution with bootcamp?
Thanx.
Last edited by fog on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have you tried the solution(s) above?

Return to “Hardware Support”