No sound dual boot w7 and linux mint problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnny87au

No sound dual boot w7 and linux mint problem

Post by johnny87au »

hey guys im new here to linux mint, so far ive been reading and reading but im having problems as its a whole new operating system.. I've dual booted windows 7 and linux mint.. Windows 7 has sound and all drivers work but with linux mint the sound is turned up but nothing comes out of the speakers??? I'm using the MSI A6200 laptop ..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnny87au

Re: No sound dual boot w7 and linux mint problem

Post by johnny87au »

anyone hehe ?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Maybe one place to start alsamixers control settings.

Open a terminal and type alsamixer ( or sudo alsamixer if necessary), then hit enter. Check those settings to see if something that isn't supposed to be is muted there. m key to enable/disable something ... left/right arrows keys to move between them and up/down arrows keys to adjust things. Then hit the esc key to exit out of it.

Also from what I've read on causes of audio problems. Sometimes nix stuff's audio features have problems when there's more than one device installed that uses sound. Like say you had integrated sound in your mobo and a stand alone pci sound card installed. Which would no doubt involve selecting one or the other. You'd have to read up and do some googling to sort that out though. Am not a nix guru period. Much less a nix audio devices guru. Good luck, the fix is definitely out there though.
johnny87au

Post by johnny87au »

thanks for your reply mate, but when i type that in command it ASKS me for password and then says no such file or directory ??
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Which version of linux mint are you using ? Might help someone else come up with a fix for ya. Very least this post will bump ya back up into the new posts section.

Told ya I was no nix audio guru, lol. Alsamixer settings are the low hanging fruit and usually a one of the good places to start looking. You tried both alsamixer as well as adding sudo to it ?
johnny87au

Post by johnny87au »

Using linux mint 10, i tryed those commands in the terminal and it doesnt seem to work! Wish i can get some dam sound :D
johnny87au

Post by johnny87au »

anyone hehe ? I'm thinking of removing mint 10 and just install mint 11 as i herd it fixes any sound issues with vmware... How can i keep all my programs without having to re download ?? Thanks

Return to “Hardware Support”